Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antietam 150th - Artillery

Default Antietam 150th - Artillery

Ok, so there are 2 Antietam reenactments (Maryland My Maryland) & (Antietam 150th I guess it is). I in no way want to start a debate between the 2 events, was just surprised to see that the Antietam 150 event claims to have reached its registration limit for federal artillery? I know that MMM was limited in artillery & by invitation only - so guess it means any fed artillery unit that either wasn't invited to the one event or registered already for the other is out of luck for any 150th Antietam reenacting?

The short answer is "yes."

You sir are correct.

"Register early and often."

The A150 website stated early on (from the creation of the website) there would be an artillery limit (event location space). And, MmM, has a by invitation only requirement, due to some authenticity standards the event has set and limits because of space (less than A150). I wouldn't say your were out of luck, just a little on behind a bunch of other artillery folks who paid attention. And both events, with some efforts to recreate history, only need a set amount of guns to fit into the scenarios, they aim to recreate. So, having anyone who wants to come play be able to well, just isn't historically accurate. (Never a problem with infantry)

Events are for the group, not for individuals. Folks just bought all of the product from the shelves before you got to the store.
    Sometimes, that's the way it goes

Just a thought, maybe contacting the event organizers would do you more good than griping on an Internet board. Is there a "waiting list?" Sometimes folks find out they can't attend events for one reason or another. If you've already done that well, there's really nothing else you can do. Why not plan a trip to the "real" Antetiam battlefield instead?
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

We welcome any and all new members and visitors, come see us:

http://thecommonground.proboards.com/

Oh, sorry I should have noted that I'm not griping about attending either as I won't even be in the US at the time - I was just mainly extremely surprised that the Antietam 150th event had already met its registration limit where as far as I knew it wasn't even a blip on most organizations radar screens yet.

Note- the Maryland, my Maryland Artillery is by invitation only. HOWEVER, units can get an invitation by contacting the artillery commander, and if they agree to abide by the rules and regulations, and meet the authenticity requirements I know we have 1-2 slots left for artillery.

The key here being the willingness to adapt to the regulations of the event.

I hope that makes sense.
    Pards,
    S. Chris Anders
    Southern Division
    www.southerndivision.org
    http://www.civilwarhenrico.com/

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. - Niccoló Machiavelli, The Prince. 1537.

Quote Originally Posted by redlegger1 View Post
    Oh, sorry I should have noted that I'm not griping about attending either as I won't even be in the US at the time - I was just mainly extremely surprised that the Antietam 150th event had already met its registration limit where as far as I knew it wasn't even a blip on most organizations radar screens yet.
    It's only 6 months until September. If units aren't paying attention, shame on them. As far as I know, the anniversary of Antietam has been on the calendar for 150 years. IMHO, there's a lot of folks (and units) out there who aren't paying attention.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

Agree Eli.....next we'll hear complaints about G150.....
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

What is the saddest part of the situation is that the reenactor "radar" on event mostly is only 2-3 months at most, weeks often. As the hobby evolves, it takes more research and preparation for an event than it did 10 years ago. I know I have been doing research for MmM ( not counting all I did for September Storm) for over 17 months now. And to be able to provide a better stage on which the actors perform, I need to have a better grasp of who is actually attending far earlier than many events. We have commitments for over 3500 troops, and are plowing forward with that, but perhaps we would be more comfortable doing so if we had 3500 troops registered today. We just hit close to 900 BTW. In one simple step reenactors could help improve the events they attend by registering early. They will have to do so anyhow, so why not take 10 minutes of their day and do so now? For an event Like Maryland, my Maryland, we have assign units and impressions early enough so folks can prep for it, and it is harder when you do not know if you have 15 battalions or 12...
    I hope this makes sense.

If you have ever planned an event you probably know of what I speak.

P6 is the principle I work by. ( prior planning prevents p&^% poor performance).

And having a better grasp of the tools in the tool box always helps the carpenter.

Pards,
    S. Chris Anders
    Southern Division
    www.southerndivision.org
    http://www.civilwarhenrico.com/

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. - Niccoló Machiavelli, The Prince. 1537.

If you're not thinking 2 years out about what your planning and at least 1 year out for what you're going to attend, be you unit or individual, especially with this cycle, you may find yourelf(s) S.O.L. when it comes time to register. At this point in the 150th cycle, being even 6 months ahead of events may not be enough lead time for registration to ensure participation.

As a long time member of the CR's, when "we" planned an event, it started usually no less that 2 ears from when it was supposed to happen at a very minimum.

In reality, all this short sitedness is a result of the same folks; leading the same groups; doing the same thing; for years and years and years and years. No changes, plodding along, same old, same old. What worked at the 140th's, isn't going to work at the 150th's as far as registration.

And RJ's right. The land for the Goofysburg "event" is only so big and will only hold so many bodies. BTW, registration is already open, spectator tickets are already on sale. And, Folks are taking advantage.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

Quote Originally Posted by lincolnsguard View Post
    And RJ's right. The land for the Goofysburg "event" is only so big and will only hold so many bodies. BTW, registration is already open, spectator tickets are already on sale. And, Folks are taking advantage.
    August 1 for Gettysburg, or at the event apparently if you're there this year.

I have a great idea, let's have 4 Gettysburg events next year.. 2 Shiloh .. 2 Antietam .. I think it's ridiculous . I was really anticipating the 150th events.. Thank god I made the 135th events because looks like the 150th events are going to be horrible

Peter Griebel