Thread: Shiloh Troop Train Field Music?

Default Shiloh Troop Train Field Music?

Are there any fifers or drummers planning on riding the Troop Train? Do you know if there are plans to play at any of the stops?

Have you contacted the event organizer(s)?

It's their gig after all.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

The 137th NY performed way, way better than the 20th Maine at Gettysburg. They just didn't have a self promoting blow hard of a Col. leading them. Maybe you should look up the history of the 83rd Pennsylvania too, they make the 20th Maine look like the rookies they were.
    There are some very good books out there about the fighting on Culps and Lower Culps Hill. Vincent's Brigade had nothing on those boys at the other end of the line.

Claude,

Great question. Bad timing.

At this late point, I can't help you with detailed questions.

I'm in 'hard pack' mode like the bulk of the event team that's coming into the site in two more days. We are on the phone and computer non stop. The Train Fellers don't monitor this site. And they are likely already headed towards Omaha to get cannon loaded.

The schedule of stops is on the Union Pacific site. If we are stopped any length of time, we are on a siding to water and grease the train and not just parked at a station.

Great Question. Three weeks ago somebody would have had time to give you an answer and arrange something if you were offering.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

If anyone is bringing their drum, let me know. I will be portraying a musician on the train ride and bringing my fife. I was told we'd be stopping at least once to interact with the public. If so, maybe we could play a few tunes for them. Wish I had thought of this sooner--I would have been glad to help organize something...I only decided to go as a musician a few days ago, hence the late question. No biggie, just thought I'd toss it out there and see if anyone responded.

(BTW, I posted the question here so as not to bother the organizers at this point because I knew they'd be up to their eyeballs dealing with bigger issues like Mrs. Lawson noted. The question was directed to any musicians that may be riding, not the organizers. That's why I'm not contacting them directly. If there had been music organized for the event, I'm sure someone would have said so. They have been very helpful to me so far with other issues, but now is not the time to ping them about things that can be addressed on an informal basis.)

My son will have his drum, he is not a professional but would be eager to learn to play along with you ! Bill T

Awesome, Bill. I will keep an eye out for you guys. Great to hear from you!

There's a bugler on board, he'll be Sounding Assembly, Board, Debark, etc. including at the rest stops.

And this from Terry hisself:
    "You all know that we have a 19 piece 1865 Marine Band that is coming in with me on the train and will be playing at the sutler area for the opening ceremony and perhaps will strool through camps Sat PM? They are from Texas."
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "