Thread: Medical Canteen

Default Medical Canteen

I thought I would get some opinions on the medical "kidney bean" canteen that is being carried by some sutlers. The one thing that catches my attention is that they say it comes with a brass screw top. I was under the general idea that all canteen had a cork stopper. If my memory serves me, I believe there was a post that said this was "bed warmer".

Thoughts, opinions and criticisms are always welcome.

Cheers,
    John Ferrannini
    Asst Surgeon
    67th NYSV a/k/a 1st Long Island

No, there were brass screw top medical canteens. The canteens themselves were either in brass, or tin. Google civil war medical canteens, to see surviving original items. Here is a pic of a brass one. As for those for sale at sutlers shops, I can not say if their versions are accurate.

http://www.prices4antiques.com/milit...ch-B137087.htm

Note I have also seen tin versions with the spout on the side, cork style.

S.D.Swart
    Last edited by S.D.Swart; 03-20-2012 at 08:50 PM.

After looking at coutless Google Images, I cannot find the a comparable original to ones sold by the sutlers. The majority of canteens are kidney bean shaped. On that note, does anyone know of a tinsmith or sutler who may be carrying one of these period correct types?

Thanks,
    John Ferrannini

Before I bought one of these "medical canteens" I would try to find a period image or iron clad evidence showing their use as CW medical canteens . If someone has already this please post it. I doubt the copper one shown in the above posted auction book mark would survive hanging by those slightly built loops. More than likely a bed warmer as someone has already pointed out. With the period availablility of standard P-1858 canteens I am of the opinion that these would be used for carrying water or other liquids simply because they were available. Also, there are many marked USA hospital bottles found in hospital sites and collections that were used for carrying medical liquids. Please don't rely on e-bay or auction houses for identification of any CW item that doesn't fit into the everyday, common use catagory.
    Last edited by Jim Mayo; 04-12-2012 at 12:53 PM.
    Jim Mayo
    Member of the old vets mess.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mayo View Post
    Before I bought one of these "medical canteens" I would try to find a period image or iron clad evidence showing their use as CW medical canteens . If someone has already this please post it. I doubt the copper one shown in the above posted auction book mark would survive hanging by those slightly built loops. More than likely a bed warmer as someone has already pointed out. With the period availablility of standard P-1858 canteens I am of the opinion that these would be used for carrying water or other liquids simply because they were available. Also, there are many marked USA hospital bottles found in hospital sites and collections that were used for carrying medical liquids. Please don't rely on e-bay or auction houses for identification of any CW item that doesn't fit into the everyday, common use catagory.
    I agree. Contact the National Museum of Civil War Medicine in Frederick, Maryland. If anyone will know about this subject, they will.
    Pvt. T. McIntire

Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery
    ----------------------------
    "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."

--Unknown