Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Period Correct Glass Jars

Bill did that cover the beverage bottles also? When I saw Joe mentioned rhe Root beer I was thinking of the ones with the rubber seal that have the ceramic stopper and wire bale closure.

There are a couple of jars in the Arabia exhibit. You can view them online at http://www.pbase.com/hockingphotos/steamboat_arabia
    Troy Groves - Historical Interpreter
    1st Infantry, California Volunteers
    http://www.manifest-history.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/azreenactor

"an average of 17 miles per day. This marching is not much to brag of but it is a very excellent performance for green troops..." - A California Volunteer, Oct. 19, 1861

the clamp on glass lids were patened 1908
    David Meister

Surgeon C.S.A.

1st Assistant Surgeon 108th Regt. Ills. Vols.

The Beverage Bottle with the wire bale and ceramic stopper are period... but according to folks who've done a LOT more research than I have, finding ones that look anywhere near "close enough" to actual period ones is a really tough challenge.

https://law.resource.org/pub/reporte...as.0077.4.html
    -Elaine Kessinger

Quote Originally Posted by PetePaolillo View Post
    Bill did that cover the beverage bottles also? When I saw Joe mentioned rhe Root beer I was thinking of the ones with the rubber seal that have the ceramic stopper and wire bale closure.
    Pete,

Not sure, There was so much information, so many photos, and so many dates, I'm corn fused!
    Bill Rodman, If you need a really bad example.
    King of Prussia, PA
    wrodman1@aol.com

Thanks everyone for the information!

In a recent discussion on Elizabeth Clark's forum, The Sewing Academy, there was discussion of a bottle with a wire bale helping seal the bottle. Evidently there was a patent dispute in the 1870's regarding a bottle with a wire bale closure, patent #23,263, patented 3/15/1859 and reissued 1/24/1864 as reissue #1,606. While that bottle did have a wire closure, I can't say I've ever seen one in an antique store and I don't know of anyone who is reproducing them.

For jars, my wife, Virginia, did an article on them for the Spring 1995 issue of the magazine, Living History, which unfortunately has now gone defunct. Just some quick dates that put canning jars in context: as already mentioned, Mason patented the threaded screw lid and rubber gasket (the gasket fit on the shoulders of the jar and not at the top of the rim); 1875 was the patenting of the lightning seal jars which have the strong wire bale that locks the top on; 1898 the Ball brothers designed a machine for mass-producing the jars; and 1915 Alexander Kerr developed the two piece lid. The manufacturers mentioned that were post-war should also serve to indicate which brands of jar are not appropriate for a civil war impression.

As another poster indicated, there are reproduction jars currently being made. However, before anyone rushes out to get jars to stock their campsite with these period containers, consider that each Mason jar cost 15 to 25 cents when a pound of bacon could be purchased for 12 1/2 cents. Their presence in the field would be an anachronism unless soldiers had raided the pantry of someone of means. The use by civilians would probably be limited to at least middle class level of wealth.
    Michael Mescher
    visit us at:
    Ragged Soldier Sutlery
    www.raggedsoldier.com