Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Period Correct Glass Jars

Question Period Correct Glass Jars

What type of glass jar was used for food storage etc during the Civil War? Was the Mason jar developed yet?

Yes the Mason Jar was developed, it was patented in 1858. Try google it turned up a lot of sites for the information you seek.
    Last edited by Rufus; 03-18-2012 at 10:06 PM.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island, #409 AFM
    Governor Guards
    SCAR, WIG
    www.scareenactors.com
    www.westernindependentgrays.org
    www.governorguards.com

http://www.njsekela.com/OSCommerce/c...tqv6gtaoid3pr3 All researched, period correct food jars and other glassware, and as far as the Mason jars, they were commercially available, but slightly different than what was available post war and today. NJS offers three sizes based on originals
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

And with all period items, they had there place and time that may require a outlet application research before you use them. Remember in a lot of places that stoneware crocks were still in use by households as one example.
    Lindsey Brown

"Mason Jars," yes. Screw on lids, no.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

The 137th NY performed way, way better than the 20th Maine at Gettysburg. They just didn't have a self promoting blow hard of a Col. leading them.
    "I didn't do my homework when I was in school. And, you expect me to do yours for you? Not happening."

John Mason patented the one peice Zinc screw on lid, Nov. 30, 1858. The two peice screw on ring with rubber lipped lid is not correct, that is true. But if you have either original or one of NJS repro's with zinc screw on lid, you would be period accurate.
    Harley
    5th Minnesota Regt. Vol. Infy.,Co. C
    1st South Carolina Volunteers, Co. H
    New Ulm Battery
    Old West Regulators - Minnesota
    "I love my wife so much, I almost told her the other day!!" Old Norwegian
    http://fifthminnesotacompanyc.webs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by lincolnsguard View Post
    "Mason Jars," yes. Screw on lids, no.
    wrong

This closure/finish was used on the ubiquitous Mason's Patent Nov. 30, 1858 jars as well as many other types of similar jars. John L. Mason's original patents did not cover the cap itself since screw caps (and threaded finishes) were not a new invention, dating back to at least 1810 (Toulouse 1969a). Instead, the patent covered the improved continuous screw threads on the jars which gradually vanished towards both the top (rim) and the bottom (shoulder) of the finish- allowing for a tightening seal - and the relatively flat shoulder sealing surface. Click Patent #22,129 to see the November 23rd, 1858 patent for the details of the mold and "vanishing thread

http://www.sha.org/bottle/food.htm#Canning jar dating notes

I believe I found information that the clamp down lids were definitely post war, but cannot figure out where I found that or find any links or notes to same amongst my stuff. Can someone confirm or deny? Also would that apply to all those root beer bottles as well?
    Mint Julep

A Proud 5%'er

A Dead Whale or A Stove Boat!

Joe, I dont have the source in front if me. I think it's in Google patents though, but you are correct. I am pretty sure it's post war by at least a few years. I know they are close but...
    Last edited by PetePaolillo; 03-20-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Joe & Pete,

There was information on the wire clamped jars in the site that Pete posted:

http://www.sha.org/bottle/food.htm#Canning

From what I read, it looks like the patents were just after the War.
    Bill Rodman, If you need a really bad example.
    King of Prussia, PA
    wrodman1@aol.com