Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crash Diets

It was my impression that the liberal columnist that wrote Confederates in the Attic was fully taken in by the hyjinx of some "hardcores" that led him by the nose with all sort of button-pizzing nonsense.

WTH
    The FoolSomeOfThePeople mess
    Yuma gonna luv it

Sam,

THANK YOU for that link! I've wanted to share that paper with others, but had simply downloaded it to my hard drive and no longer had a link.

For anyone that hasn't read that paper, read it! It is a great analysis of the soldiers' quality of life during the war, as well as the diet of the citizen of the era.
    John Wickett
    Carpetbagger

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
    Sam,

THANK YOU for that link! I've wanted to share that paper with others, but had simply downloaded it to my hard drive and no longer had a link.

For anyone that hasn't read that paper, read it! It is a great analysis of the soldiers' quality of life during the war, as well as the diet of the citizen of the era.
    You bet John! Glad I found it! Was hoping to meet you in person at the "Adventure", but things didn't work out--next time! I think we learned a very solid lesson Saturday about "crash diets": 3 crackers + 5 (or so...) miles = some played out fellers. As written in that paper, we were quickly in calorie deficit and by the time we found our camp, the boys were just plain cooked--the stew, pickled bologna were like Manna Saturday night!
    Sam Lowe
    Sally Port Mess
    Western Rifles

The hunger of Friday nigt --> Saturday afternoon was good, in a zen sort of way. I had guys who wanted to run to town for food on Friday night and I had to tell them "no!". Like them, I had not one scrap of food in my haversack. Like good soldiers, though, they were quickly begging food from the assembled masses and having good luck. ...and EVERYONE appreciated the chipped beef and coffee on the boat!

I was played-out when I got to camp Saturday. I had a pickle and some pickle juice (as well as a canteen of water) and was ready to move on to my next task. The stew was phenominal! It was just a few simple ingredients simmered in a pot, but it was out of this world!
    John Wickett
    Carpetbagger