Thread: Harpists at reenacting events?

Default Harpists at reenacting events?

I've searched this forum for info on whether there are any harpists at certain reenactment events and have come up empty. My wife is a harpist and we are both curious as to whether there is any interest in this area of civilian reenacting.

I'm sorry but I have been in the hobby since 1997 and have never seen a harp at any event, big or small. I'm sure it's happened somewhere though.

I agree. It's near impossible to prove a negative, but when you spend years reviewing original sources and descriptions, and never come across something like this, it's generally a good idea to not "import" it to a battlefield event. At Old Bethpage Village Restoration, we occasionally have a harpist performing indoors in the Inn or one of the other buildings, as a living history demonstration. Again, we can't say that it "never" occurred, but it doesn't seem to be commonplace.

Eric Marten

Thanks for info! I didn't figure there was much call for it, but figured it was worth asking about, if for no reason except to satisfy our curiosity.
    Josh Stovall
    Cartersville, GA
    Co A, 2nd Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters (Cox's Wildcats)
    Co A, 64th Illinois, Yates' Sharpshooters

http://www.georgiasharpshooters.org/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/2ndGASh...s?feature=mhee

Josh,

There are two sisters, Heather and Raquelle Sheen, who played period harp music at various events under the name of The Joyful Harps. I believe they are from South Carolina. Their dad portrays a Confedrate engineer. I'm not sure of their current schedule or if they are still performing period harp music but you can probably search for them on the internet.

Regards,

Thomas Federico
    Alpharetta, Georgia
    Armory Guards