Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle of Unison 150th, October 26-28th, 2012

Julio,
    You would most certainly be welcome! It is a mobile event, and as such we'll have people moving miles across the countryside during both Saturday and Sunday. If you were to station yourself in the villiage of Unison during mid day Saturday, you would catch both sides as they "occupy" the town for a couple of hours, as well as a civilian contingent that will be there also.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

Take care,
    Tom Craig
    1st Maine Cavalry

Thanks, Tom.
    Before I can make a final committment to attend and photograph the event, I would like to know the answers to the following questions:
    --where in the village of Unison will be civilian participants be located during the event?
    --in other words, is there an authentic civilian camp planned?
    --If not, is there a "modern" camp for civilians?
    --if there is no "central" location for the authentically-clad civilians, will they be spread all over the place?
    --how big is Unison, in terms of permanent residents (I have never been there)?
    --how many civilians do you expect to participate in the event?
    --who is the Civilian Coordinator, if there is one so designated?
    --are there any special scenarios planned for civilian/military?
    --approximately how many military do you expect to participate, per side?
    I have been to the Aldie area a few times before, and I know how beautiful it is, so I know full well that this event has a tremendous possibility as a living history setting, and I sure hope the reenacting community responds and supports it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Julio
    Julio C. Zangroniz, Independent Photojournalist
    www.zphotos.smugmug.com
    Jzangroniz@comcast.net

Default Catching up to us

Julio,
    I'm happy to answer your questions.
    The civilians will be primarily based around the Methodist church in the village. Unison is a VERY small town. The center of town is maybe 15 houses, a stop sign, a church, and a former general store. It isn't hard to find anyone.

The civilian coordinator for the event is Jessica Craig. There are actually two civilian elements to the event. AGSAS is hosting a total immersion event at Welbourne manor. The civilians of the Liberty Rifles will be doing living history in the village. We may also have a surgeon set up at the church, which was used as a hospital during the battle.

There will be no modern camp for anyone. All participants will be camping period style, as the event is a campaign event.

Civilians in town and the military will interact as the military moves through the town on Saturday mid day. There should be about 25 or so civilians as part of the whole event.

As for military, we will have 35-40 CS, including cavalry, infantry and artillery. On the US side we'll have roughly 60 folks including cavalry and infantry.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care,
    Tom Craig
    1st Maine Cavalry

Thanks, Tom,
    Your information is extremely helpful.
    Julio
    www.zphotos.smugmug.com
    Jzangroniz@comcast.net

I'm happy to help! It would be great to see you there.
    Take care,
    Tom Craig
    1st Maine Cavalry

The best CS mounted from all across the country will be there! We have room for a few more mounted as well. looking like 30 or so mounted per side. Not too many more authentics than that left in the country anymore, so get here if you can. This could be the best cavalry event of the 150th series!
    Todd Kern
    Valley Light Horse
    Last edited by T.Kern; 10-18-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: name

We're just a week out from the event, and I for one am getting pretty psyched! Directions have been posted to the FB group. If you're not on there, send me a PM, or an email at: tom.craig@ymail.com and I will get them to you.

The weather forcast so far looks awesome. Time to start hydrating, and take some time this weekend to get out and stretch your legs a bit to get warmed up for tramping across miles of beautiful and pristine original battlefield!

Take care,
    Tom Craig
    1st Maine Cavalry

Hello all, I have a friend flying into Dulles tomorrow from Texas at 5pm EST, well they're ride had to cancel last minute and they are stranded at the airport. Can anyone assist? Gas and time will be compensated for.

email is best...

b.martin983@yahoo.com
    Bob Martin
    Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
    Company A "Chesapeake Rifles"

Bob,
    Glad to hear your Texas friend won't need a ride from me, because it means I won't have to be driving around the infernal Friday afternoon Washington DC area traffic.
    I will look for you --and your friend-- at Unison.
    Julio
    www.zphotos.smugmug.com
    Jzangroniz@comcast.net

The Battle of Unison...
    I went, I saw --and photographed as much of it as I could.
    Personally, I had a great time. The images I managed to catch look great. Some will be posted, as soon as possible.
    But how did the other participants see the exercise, even if you looked at from a rather limited perspective?
    I will tell you one thing: the locals enjoyed "the show" thoroughly. It was like something they had NEVER SEEN.
    But some of the venues were far apart. Some elements of the program never got to interact --because we were attempting to recreate something that actually happened.
    So the question, again, is, how did YOU see it? How did it work out (or not) for you?
    Inquiring minds... want to know!
    Julio
    www.zphotos.smugmug.com
    Jzangroniz@comcast.net