Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Notice: 150th Fredericksburg, Dec 2012

Default Registration for “Fire on the Rappahannock” (Fredericksburg 150) is now Open

UPDATE 29 Feb 2012. Registration for “Fire on the Rappahannock” commemorating the 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Fredericksburg is now open. Visit http://fredericksburg150.org/registration-form/ to see instructions and retrieve the application and release forms.

Thank you

Jerry Lynes
    28th Mass, Co B www.28thMassCoB.org
    Battle of Fredericksburg Commemoration Committee
    www.Fredericksburg150.org
    Fredericksburg, VA

Default Fredericksburg 150: Correct Web Address for Registration

All: Apparently I posted the web address incorrectly: This version should work! http://fredericksburg150.org/registration-form/

Apologies. Some webmaster I am!

Fidelis
    Jerry Lynes

Default Pontoon Boat Adjunct for "Fire on the Rappahannock"

As a part of ‘Fire on the Rappahannock’ two unique organizations will be put together.

Coordination is underway for a group of living historians to construct two full scale wooden pontoons at the Ferry Farm site during the summer and fall of this year. At the Fredericksburg reenactment in December, this group will portray the 15th NY Engineers (25 individuals maximum) and handle these pontoons to ferry troops across the Rappahannock on December 8, 2012. After completing that task, the 15th NY Engineers will remain at the City Dock and Ferry Farm to provide living history displays. There are five weekends scheduled for the actual construction effort at Ferry Farm.

The dates and the expected tasks to be performed are listed below

June 9-10 – 1st Weekend – Prepare materials, build frames. being planking
    August 4-5 – 2nd Weekend – Complete Planking and Gunwales, prepare exterior for painting
    September 22-23 – 3rd Weekend – Paint exterior
    November 11-12 – 4th Weekend – Finish details (oar locks, compartments, cavil), Test run in river
    December 1-2 – 5th Weekend – Back-up Weekend in case of delays

The troops that crossed by pontoon at Ferry Farm were the 89th NY Infantry. The historical record indicates four Officers and one hundred men of the 89th crossed to clear the opposite bank and facilitate the completion of the bridge. The 89th NY Infantry will participate in a compressed but documented recreation of the activities they took part in during the battle. They will picket the Stafford County bank of the Rappahannock starting before dawn. They will assist the 15th NY Engineers in moving the pontoons down to the river and launching them. In the morning, they will cross the river by pontoon and clear the Fredericksburg City Dock of Rebel resistance. During the day the companies of the 89th NY will be assigned a number of tasks including guarding the middle bridge crossing as troops come across, securing key points in the town, and providing living history displays at looted homes and hospitals. In the afternoon, the 89th NY will be the last unit to assault on Marye’s Heights. After the conclusion of the assault, the 89th NY will return to the city dock and march back across the bridge into Stafford County. Find a historical account of the 89th NY’s action in crossing the Rappahannock here: 89thNY Fredericksburg

The organization of these elements is in progress. Pete Berezuk will be in overall Command and portray the Lieutenant Colonel of the 89th NY. Joe Caridi and Billy Birney will fill Commissary and Quartermaster roles for this organization. Michael Comer will portray Captain Seymour L. Judd of Company G and Bob Bowser will portray Captain Frank Burt of Company K. The two other officer spots are open to individuals interested in and capable of raising 25 soldiers to participate in this endeavor, please contact me if you can commit and support this endeavor.

The Registration Fee will be $35 (broken down to $15 for the “Fire on the Rappahannock” event registration, $15 to support the Pontoon Building Fund and $5 for rations). Registration for this event will be by individuals.

The registration form and instructions for participation are here: Pontoon_Boat_Adjunct_Registration.

There is a growing list of individuals who are interested in participating in this effort. If you have interest, please send an email to pete.berezuk@gmail.com and you will be added to the contact list and kept informed.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Proud Member of...
    69th NYSV Historical Association - USMC Historical Company - Washington Guard

Builder and Maintainer of the Ray Prosteen Memorial Event Calendar

I am very excited to go to this event. I am wondering what the weather will be like when we go?
    bill shackell
    private
    Grays & Blues of Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by bill shack View Post
    I am very excited to go to this event. I am wondering what the weather will be like when we go?
    Bill, I live in historic area of Fredericksburg. Literally on the wrong side of the tracks and just up the hill from the old city warf and ferry crossing. I've attended the Fredericksburg event several times and it has ranged from a down pour in freezing rain to clear blue skies with the warmth of Indian Summer on my face. There is no way to know what it will be like, but it can be really bad.

I highly recommend anyone coming to dress like the original soldiers did with multiple layers of wool that can be shed or added to meet the conditions. This is the event to have your overcoat with you. Prior to the battle in 1862, the Federal Army's 2nd Corps was ordered to wear overcoats and bring their blanket while leaving the knapsacks behind.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Proud Member of...
    69th NYSV Historical Association - USMC Historical Company - Washington Guard

Builder and Maintainer of the Ray Prosteen Memorial Event Calendar

UPDATE 7 April 2012: Hello to all! See: http://fredericksburg150.org/registe...cipants-lists/ to see if you have successfully registered for this event. Lists is updated thru 1 April 12 and will be updated monthly on or about the 1st of the month.

Thank You

Jerry Lynes
    Battle of Fredericksburg Commemoration Committee
    www.Fredericksburg150.org

Event News:

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/150thFrederi...gCommemoration

Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/CampCrier