Thread: Civil War 150 Photo Blog

Default Civil War 150 Photo Blog

THE CIVIL WAR SESQUICENTENNIAL PHOTOGRAPHIC PROJECT 2011-2015
    Dedicated to the Preservation of Civil War Battle sites and the art of reenactments

Civil War 150 Photo Blog
    You can follow the blog by clicking the "follow button" at the top of the home page.

Oak Hill Studio has begun a project around the Civil War Sesquicentennial events that started last year. By combining photography and my desire to preserve our environment, I have found a way to give back more than I would otherwise been able to do.
    Proceeds are donated to the preservation of battlefields and the art of reenacting as a form of living history for future generations. Donations will be in the name of the reenactors. To date, donations have been made to Cedar Creek Battlefield Foundation on behalf of the reenactors that participated in the event. Other worthy causes include The Civil War Trust.

The projects goal is to preserve our nation’s endangered Civil War sites and to promote appreciation of these hallowed grounds through education and heritage tourism.

Default Great Pictures, Wrong Event

Dear Mr. Harris,

I visited your site and was impressed with the stunning photographs you have taken as well as with the scope and spirit of this fine project. There is however one minor correction I think you should make in the captioning--two of the shots identified as "Remembrance Day 2011" are in fact from another event. What many people do not realize is that there were actually two events taking place this last Nov. 19th in Gettysburg, the annual Remembrance Day parade in town and the annual Dedication Day ceremony in the Soldier's National Cemetery.

Dedication Day, which commemorates Lincoln's reading of the Gettysburg Address, is always held on November 19. That date usually falls on a weekday, but this year it fell on the same day as the Remembrance Day parade. For this reason, many people believed the activities in the Cemetery that morning to be part of the Remembrance Day event, which was not the case. Dedication Day is a totally separate event sponsored by the National Park Service and Gettysburg College. I was in the Color Guard in front of the stand where Mr. Lang, Mr. Getty, and the others are shown in your photograph, so I know this to be the case. In fact, my forum profile picture above was cropped from a photo taken that day. The same stand shown in your photograph is directly behind me with Mr. Lang and the others.

So, in the interest of accuracy, the captions for those two shots should read "Gettysburg Dedication Day, 2011" not "Gettysburg Remembrance Day 2011" as Dedication Day was the event taking place.

Once again, I applaud what you are doing for preservation and the hobby through these wonderful photographs and look forward to seeing more of your work from upcoming 150th events (that shot of the hummingbird is extraordinary, by the way...)
    Last edited by Quickstep; 12-27-2011 at 10:33 PM.

Quickstep,
    Thank you you for speaking up. I make a lot of these types of mistakes along the way. I am a stickler for accuracy and will make the changes tomorrow. Not being a reporter with a news service I tend to be sloppy with the facts and details. That is why so many of the photographs have no caption. The photography is my passion. The intentions are honest, but if there were only a way to clone me to help cover everything.

Check back tomorrow and let me know if it is right.

At 1st Mannassas I captioned one photo as "unknown Confederate soldier" and in a few days I got a response saying hey, he's not unknown, he's a great friend who falls in with a Michigan unit. I was wrong on the unknown and on the affiliation.

Again, thank you for noticing the error and thank you for the compliments on the work.
    BTW Paul is who I go by, my father was Mr. Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulHarris View Post
    Not being a reporter with a news service I tend to be sloppy with the facts and details.
    Hey, Paul--not to worry, a lot of people assumed that the Dedication Day activities were part of the Remembrance Day event. It wasn't sloppiness on your part, simply an understandable assumption given what was happening. In fact, some of the media covering Dedication Day didn't even report it as a separate event. Your conscientious approach to accuracy is commendable. This hobby is indeed fortunate to have attracted the attention of so many talented photographers. Thank you once again for sponsoring this project and for your efforts towards preservation.

Claude
    I have added a new post on the blog explaining the difference and also renamed the galleries on the web site.
    Here is the link to the web site
    Oak Hill Studio - Gettysburg Dedication and Remembrance Day 2011

Looking forward to the McDowell photos....

Shoot me an email at ltcolcsa@hotmail.com
    S. Chris Anders
    Southern Division
    www.southerndivision.org
    http://www.civilwarhenrico.com/

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. - Niccoló Machiavelli, The Prince. 1537.