Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banjo Tunes

Default Banjo Tunes

Just starting out with a banjo. Any songs in tab form?

If you are interested in playing, or learning to play the banjo in the style of the period you should check out the minstrel banjo forum at http://minstrelbanjo.ning.com/. I don't recall if there is much tab available there or not but well worth the time to look it over. Dave Culgan.

I'm not sure if I know of any Civil War music books with tab. Just starting out you may want to take a few banjo lessons and just start playing as much as you can. There was a definite style back then as Dave has mentioned, all depends on what you want to get out of the music.

Hi,

You might want to try this book. It has some of Foster's most popular work in an easy tab format.

http://www.amazon.com/Banjo-Knee-BK-...5690971&sr=1-1

Enjoy - Cole Hutcherson

You are right Cole, that is a good book, I even bought it a few years ago and forgot all about it...sorry about that. Now I have to see if I can find it here in my study.

Default banjo

Thank you for the info. I was wanting songs to play in camp and those will help.

And of course you are playing in the clawhammer style? Nothing bugs me more than playing in camp and someone asks me why I'm not playing bluegrass . While there is nothing wrong with old-time two or three-finger style, "bluegrass" style picking is inappropriate.

Default banjo

Started learning in December. I don't care to learn Bluegrass finger picking. I love the sound of Clawhammer.

Is clawhammer period? It seems different from what I hear some of the more-researched banjo players playing at events.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com

Default clawhammer

Probably just Thumbstrum, but Clawhammer sure sounds better at events than Bluegrass picking.