Thread: Corpsman chevrons

Default Corpsman chevrons

I may be asking this in the wrong board, but I am looking for a sutler or someone who produces the Ambulance Corpsman red half chevron. From what I have found doing the research they were either a plain red half chevron similar to the Steward or they were red with Ambulance Corp. written across it (still half chevron). Are there any sutlers or independent sellers that sell these or is it something I am going to have to learn to sew myself?

Ambulance corpsman chevrons were plain green like that of a steward only less the caduceus. nj sekela has them for sale.
    David Meister

Surgeon C.S.A.

1st Assistant Surgeon 108th Regt. Ills. Vols.

You may be thinking of the Confederate insignia for ambulance corps, which was an armband made of red cloth which had "Ambulance Corps" in black letters on a white background. There are several in existence--one at the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, and one at the National Museum of Civil War Medicine in Frederick, MD.
    Pvt. T. McIntire

Battery B, 4th U.S. Artillery
    ----------------------------
    "Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."

--Unknown

the same vendor I mentioned before has the confederate version as well
    David Meister

Surgeon C.S.A.

1st Assistant Surgeon 108th Regt. Ills. Vols.

In the Army of the Potomac the ambulance corps, after it was officially established used green chevrons. NCO's had inverted green chevrons (point up) while privates had the plain green half chevron. In the Army of Northern VA prior to 1862 members of the ambulance corps had a card they carried that denoted who they were. After 1862 ANV general orders specified the the red band with ambulance corps written on a white background. The orders specified these bands were to be tied around the hat so it would be visible on the field.
    your obedient servant,
    Rick Etter
    Surgeon, 2nd Brigade
    Southern Division
    SOCWS

"not really a surgeon, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express"

Hey,
    Thanks guys. I have found multiple plates depicting ambulance corpsman wearing red half Chevrons. I will look into that site. Appreciate the help.