Thread: Etiquette

Question Etiquette

I was wondering what is the proper etiquette for the Medical Service in the field? When do we give or receive salutes? Who do we salute? Do we ever draw our swords to salute like a regular officer?

I have looked for books and have only been able to find one on Staff Officer etiquette. If there are any texts pertaining to us, please let me know.

Thanks,
    John Ferrannini
    Asst. Surgeon
    67th NY a.k.a. 1st Long Island Volunteers

I do not salute on the field unless I am well behind the front lines as I respect my commander enough not to draw fire to him. While in camp I observe military customs and courtesies. While in parade which is the only place I carry my frog sticker ... I mean sword I do salute with it.
    David Meister

Surgeon C.S.A.

1st Assistant Surgeon 108th Regt. Ills. Vols.

Officers and NCOs, regardless of line or staff service, adhered to the same military etiquette. The only exception I can see is that patients who are bed-ridden are exempt from coming to attention when the surgeon or the steward make their rounds.

For more information on proper honors, please see this article.
    Noah Briggs

A Marine will still come to attention if flat on his back in a hospital bed if an officer enters the room. I suspect that any enlisted person would have done the same if unable to stand.