Thread: Civil War accordeon video

Default Civil War accordeon video

Many folks have wondered what the Civil War era French accordeons (a.k.a. flutina) sounded like. There were a lot of them imported during the mid 19th centruy until German and Italian made instruments took over (blame the Franco-Prussian war). The one I am playing was made around 1850. Excuse the poor video, I'm still trying to find a way to get some good recordings up on u-tube. Here's the link:

http://youtu.be/cZuT4DCl-9s

Dave Culgan, Camptown Shakers

Very cool!

Love it! thanks for sharing.
    Annette Bethke
    Austin, Texas
    Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
    www.txcwcivilian.org

Where can I get one, does anyone make anything close repo. Always wanted to play a period accoridian !! Excellent thread!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Thurman View Post
    Where can I get one, does anyone make anything close repo. Always wanted to play a period accoridian !! Excellent thread!!!!
    I had thought that the music from these relatively fragile instruments might be lost to time and even as I play my own antique instrument I worry that one day I will just pull it apart. Fortunately I have found someone that is knowledgeable in construction and repair and very much invloved in developing a reproduction instrument. I have seen Andy Gelfert's prototype, the casework and bellows were a faithful copy of a period accordeon in his collection, the workmanship is incredible. The prototype is not yet complete but I'm hoping one day to be able to play on a new instrument. In playing condition these things really are addictive and hard to put down. Andy has a website in progress at victorianaccordeon.com and you can also reach him through Facebook. Dave Culgan, Camptown Shakers band.

Thanks for sharing!
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

Neat..thanks for sharing
    Marc Riddell
    1st Minnesota Co D
    2nd USSS
    Potomac Legion

Default Bonnie Blue Flag on flutina

Here's another example of flutina accordeon playing - "The Bonnie Blue Flag" as I remembered it from "Gods & Generals" soundtrack featuring the 2nd South Carolina band. A few mistakes here and there and I mis-remembered the melody line of the 3rd part a bit but hope you enjoy. I am finding that this is a difficult instrument to record, the Mac's built in mic doesn't really capture the drones very well. Dave Culgan

http://youtu.be/1hXd_TJSziU

Cool stuff!

Steve
    Steve Sheldon