Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Regulation field medical case

Thread: Regulation field medical case

Default Regulation field medical case

Does anyone have thoughts about the field medical case from Dixie Leather Works?

I am trying to decide what to carry in the field for my asst surgeon impression. I doubt I will have a private to carry a hospital knapsack.

Thanks,
    Mason Lumpkins
    Hospital Steward / Asst Surgeon
    Muddy River Battalion

Mason,
    I am probably going to purchase one over the winter as I cannot carry nearly enough gear in a haversack. I posted something similar to your posting and one of the members said they had one and were happy with it. Like you said, I to may find it difficult to recruit a private to carry the hospital knapsack all over the field.

Cheers,
    John Ferrannini
    Asst. Surgeon
    67th NY a.k.a. 1st Long Island

I carry my pocket kit in my drs bag from civilian practice with some bandages and some medicine bottles, stethoscope, the basics for my aid station. I add and detract from the basic kit as is neccessary.
    D. Meister

Portraying
    Federal and Confederate Surgeons of the American Civil War Era

Society of Civil War Surgeons

Owner and Proprietor
    D. M. Meister Medical Purveyor
    Purveyors of replica 18th and 19th century medicines.

Picture 1 is my bag closed. This was given to me by my surgeon as a present when I started out.

Picture 2 is the bag open with all contents inside, including Ed Archer type 1 pocket kit; female stethescope, brandy flask, torniquet, mortar and pestal, quinine tin, bandages, ten basic medicine bottles (don't have labels or fake medicine in them yet), surgical needles, suture card

Picture 3 is bag open with contents out

Picture 4 is me at Lincoln's 1860 campaign desk at Metamora Courthouse State Historic Site along with my Ed Archer type 2 capital amputation set.
    D. Meister

Portraying

Owner and Proprietor

That is a nice case, it seems to hold a lot of stuff. Does it ever get to heavy to carry? It seems like a shoulder strap would help. Nice picture

here is another question. What to the rest of you field surgeons carry with you?

David,

Good setup and it makes the point to spectators without overwelming them. The point I always try and make at these type of presentations is the basics of 19th century medicine/surgery and that the majority of doctors did the best they could with the knowledge available.
    Marc Riddell
    1st Minnesota Co D
    2nd USSS
    Potomac Legion

David, that is a really great set-up! I like the bag, do you know who made it? It is the right size to take onto the field. Could you send me those photos so I can add them to my medical file?

Cheers,
    John Ferrannini
    Asst Surgeon
    67th NY a.k.a. 1st Long Island Volunteers

I'm not sure who made it it was a present from my surgeon. I think its an antique.
    D. Meister

Portraying

Owner and Proprietor