Thread: Using a Bugle

Question Using a Bugle

I've got a question and I was wondering if someone out there would be able to help. I use to play trombone in high school and was wondering if anything that I learned from that would transfer over to playing bugle? My main concern is that I graduated so long ago (22 yrs), I am wondering if I would have to re-learn everything.

Thanks,
    John Ferrannini
    Asst Surgeon, 1st Lt.
    67th NY

Hi John,

Of course having played any type of brass instrument is definitely a plus when playing a bugle. You should be able to make a reasonably good sound from the start but trying to hit the high notes could be a challenge.

The biggest difference is going to be the size of the mouthpiece and getting your lip into shape. It's a much smaller mouthpiece and hitting the high notes takes a much tighter embouchure than when you played the trombone. You'll need alot more lip power to play many of the bugle calls.

Good luck!!!
    Scott Sonntag
    Hardhead Mess
    Regimental Volunteer Band of Wisconsin

I've got my old Boy Scout bugle and from time to time I find it in the closet and try belting out Reveille or other calls. I am RUSTY.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

Unfortunately, most of us are Steve......it's been a long time since playing the solo on the 50 yard line of the high school football field at Homecoming for too many of us....
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

You could look at the good news--it's got a lot fewer notes it can play.