Thread: Carrying Gear

Question Carrying Gear

After an event this weekend, I realized that it is almost impossible to carry what I need in the field in a haversack. My question is what do others use to carry their gear (bandages, a few tins, instruments, etc) onto the field? I know there was a knapsack originally issued, but that is bulky. Did surgeons utilize satchels or even carpet bags? I know some surgeons use saddle bags, but do they hold more than a haversack?

YHS,
    John Ferrannini
    Asst. Surgeon, 1st Lt.
    67th NY, Co.K

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat Surgeon View Post
    After an event this weekend, I realized that it is almost impossible to carry what I need in the field in a haversack. My question is what do others use to carry their gear (bandages, a few tins, instruments, etc) onto the field? I know there was a knapsack originally issued, but that is bulky. Did surgeons utilize satchels or even carpet bags? I know some surgeons use saddle bags, but do they hold more than a haversack?
    That second knapsack, with a knapsack carrier to tote it, was the "official" solution.

Here's a post with some historical information:

http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...911#post182911

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com

[QUOTE=hanktrent;190315]That second knapsack, with a knapsack carrier to tote it, was the "official" solution.

Here's a post with some historical information:

http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...911#post182911

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com[The 1863 Surgeons Companion or "Coolidge Bag" similar to a valise was smaller, and worn on the hip with a shoulder and waist strap.
    A different question, was there any specific medical canteen used? I've seen the kidney shaped canteen, but not much mention of any other specific type of canteen Regards,
    Dave Furukawa, PA-C
    Hospital Steward / Surgeon
    21st OVI

Hank, thanks for the info. I was looking online and I see that Dixie Leather Works makes some medical items. The first link is the surgeon's knapsack.

http://www.dlwleathers.com/Pages/Pro...?ProductID=511

The second one is referred to as a field medical case. Would this be suitable for carrying into the field or was this specifically for medications?

http://www.dlwleathers.com/Pages/Pro...roductID=108-A

Then he offers a surgeon's valise. I am not sure how much you could get into this?

http://www.dlwleathers.com/Pages/Pro...?ProductID=515

Thanks,
    John Ferrannini
    Asst Surgeon, 1st Lt.
    67th NY

For my basic field kit I carry it in my Doctors bag. As for bandages I carry some in my bag and some more in my pockets. If I have a hospital attendant he carries some more bandages in his pockets we both take a canteen with us as I do not have a kidney style medical canteen. If I could find an interested hospital attendant my surgeon might let him use his hospital knapsack. As far my capital amputation set is concerned it stays at the regimental field hospital under supervision of the other medical staff until I come back or it stays well hidden in my quarters sometimes as far away as at home
    David Meister

Surgeon C.S.A.

1st Assistant Surgeon 108th Regt. Ills. Vols.

David, what are you using for your doctor's bag? The extra haversack I purchased, just isn't cutting it.

John Ferrannini
    Asst. Surgeon, 1st Lt.
    67th NY

John,

While the Surgeon's Valise from Dixie is a fine item, you won't find it too useful for your needs. I have one that I use as a dopp kit in order to keep those items out of public view.
    I remain as ever, your faithful & obedient servant,

Jon Austin

aka Benjamin Franklin Lyford, M.D.
    Drs. Chamberlain & Lyford, Principal Embalming Surgeons
    Washington City, D. C.

Adservio mortuus quidnam es non potens adservio ipsum

Traveling with while in the field:
    Mid-States Living History Association, Indianapolis, IN
    10th Illinois Cavalry Regiment, Springfield, IL
    The Society of Civil War Surgeons

Jon,

Have you used or know of anyone who has used Dixie's Field Medical Chest? I am thinking this might serve my purposes on the field as the McEvoy Knapsack might topple my young hospital attendent.

YHS,
    John Ferrannini

John,

Yes, I have an earlier model of the Field Medical Case from Dixie. It is well made also, easily portable, and it would probably better suit your needs if your budget allows. It holds quite a bit: I've outfitted mine with the following: two pint bottles, sixteen small phials, an ether cone, two wooden splints, two field tourniquets, a tin of linen charpie, a tin of cotton wadding, a supply of red flannel bandages, a supply of brass pins (for securing the rollers), two each of roller bandages in four different widths, two pair of tissue forceps, a pair of needle forceps, a straight razor, and a small natural sponge. I still have room if I need to add items. My only criticism is that I detected several slight errors in the label that lists the pharmaceuticals, but it is a small matter. I've not had an opportunity to determine whether the errors appear on the original label or whether the variation is due to a slight difference in the translation of the Latin. I can't speak regarding the McEvoy.
    I remain as ever, your faithful & obedient servant,

Jon Austin

aka Benjamin Franklin Lyford, M.D.
    Drs. Chamberlain & Lyford, Principal Embalming Surgeons
    Washington City, D. C.

Adservio mortuus quidnam es non potens adservio ipsum

Traveling with while in the field:
    Mid-States Living History Association, Indianapolis, IN
    10th Illinois Cavalry Regiment, Springfield, IL
    The Society of Civil War Surgeons

The "kidney canteen" is not a canteen. Based on the screw cap it is actually a misidentified bed-warmer. The originals don't have the brackets to hold a strap. Fill with warm water, and pop into the bed to warm it up.
    Noah Briggs