Thread: plans for ammo crates

Default plans for ammo crates

Greetings:

I'm looking for plans for wood ammo crates. I want to build some for a living history activity. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Pvt T A White

I've got plans, I'll send them to you.

John Ferrannini
    Asst Surgeon
    67th NY

Thank you very much

PVT T A White

If you use the SEARCH function, you should be able to find several references to building ammo boxes and crates as it gets brought up on here from time to time. Good luck with the project.
    Micah Trent
    2nd Most Hated Reenactor in Kentucky - Western Federal Blues
    Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Here you go. This is the illustration from my book, "Civil War Woodworking."

Keep in mind that this particular design with box-jointed corners is only one example of what was used. Corner joinery on these boxes was all over the board, with box joints, angled dovetails, rabbets and plain butt joints all being used. Although joinery was specified in both ordnance manuals (identical for both Federal and Confederate), the arsenals took the ordnance specifics more or less as "suggestions" and pretty much did their own thing. The only thing they had to exactly follow was the dimensions: 14.75" long, 10.75" wide and 6.38" deep in order for the box to contain the correct amount of rounds. These are inside dimensions, so depending on what thickness of wood you use, the external dimensions will vary. You didn't specify what kind of ammo box you're planning to make, but the drawing and dimensions here are for 57/58 rifled musket ammo.

Also, note that the drawing shown here is just the basic box construction, and not all nails and screws are shown, nor are the handles. Use cut nails for constructing the box, and use 1-3/4" slotted screws to secure the top.

Hope this helps.

A.J.

Here are some plans from a unit's site.

http://nw15tharkansas.org/uploads/Ar...%20Article.pdf

Cheers,
    John Ferrannini
    Asst Surgeon
    67th NY, Co.k

Hi John...

While the directions in the 15th Arkansas article are valid, the dimensions are incorrect. As stated in that article, they've used the ordnance manual dimensions (same ones I listed in my earlier post) as the exterior dimensions. This will result in a box that is 1-1/2" too short and 1-1/2" too narrow on the inside if using 3/4" lumber.

A.J.