Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: A Private Looks at Wilson's Creek

Oh, Dougy - OK i will answer you. The organizers of this event is The Wilson Creek Foundation, not the Blue Gray Alliance. You should go to them for your questions. And no, you do not have a right to know,as I do not either. As has been said before - if you are not happy about an event and where the money has gone, make your voice known by not attending. The only "right" I have at these events is to expect unsafe practices will not be tolerated. Other than that, it is a hobby.
    Robert Orrand
    Forrest Camp #215, SCV
    Mayor of Dover, Little York, Purdy, Raymond, LaFayette - and now, Gettysburg
    4th TN CSA - Co A - Shelby Greys

Since Wilson's Creek is my home battle, I went in with what I deemed average expectations. This was my first National, and I must say, it will be my last as well. I arrived on Wednesday morning, packed to the gills, and with horses. Once seeing the lay of the land, and how many staubs where littering the CS Cavalry camp, some of the men went to work clearing what they could. We still lost two horses due to staubs getting stuck in the soft of their feet. My main concern all week was the horses, and that their needs were met before mine were. We didn't get hay for them until Thursday afternoon, and didn't get ANY on Sunday, and the water tanks ran out in the first day. Luckily, the Creek was close, so we could water them there. Our Company Cook dressed out as Farby as she could until she received water, rations, and the firewood we were all promised. She's a little spit-fire, to be sure, but she sure manages to get us what we need when we need it.

We went out for the Tactical Thursday morning, and I was immediatly bucked off my horse. I got back on and rode the rest of the Tactical, but my shoulder is messed up for a while. We lost another man in our Brigade due to his horse laying down on him, and he went to the hospital with a cracked disk in his back. Over the entire week, we had people dropping like flies all over the event. Heat exhaustion was the major factor, but we lost a few to very serious things, like a stroke. My heart goes out to those to who fell at the Creek.

Due to my injury, I was kept off a horse the rest of the weekend, so I worked my other duties as Photographer. I went out to the first battle Saturday to do just this, but I was soon rangled into crowd control. Now, being a horse person, and being in the Cavalry, I understand the way a horse moves, how fast, how to get out of the way, etc. The spectators were doing the normal spectator thing and pushing against the non-existant barriers. Yeah, there were NO BARRIERS FOR SPECTATORS FOR THE FIRST BATTLE SATURDAY. I had my arm in a sling at this point, and no one took me for anything, as usual it seems like. I, and a few other ladies and gentleman, were keeping the peace at the main enterance and exit point for the Cavalry, so we HAD to have everyone back as far as possible. Due to no-one listening, and a bull headed few, a boy in a wheelchair was almost run over! And what did his parents do? They pushed him right back up to the very very front where horses where whizzing by as fast as possible. >_<

Overall, it was a decent time on the reenacting side of things, the Logistics are what have turned me off from all Nationals, and I will be going to smaller events from now on. I won't tolerate my horse going without food because there is no hay provided.
    “What are you fighting for anyhow?”
    “I’m fighting because you are down here.”
    - Confederate prisoner to Union soldier.

Bucked off your horse? Was this your fault or the event?

It is nice that some events have hay. But I have never relied totally on any event for forage.

Am I wrong to think that you may not have been ready for a national event?

Jim Dedman

The woman in the skirt was most likely acting as a Vivandiere. I myself portrayed on at the Creek, but a more Western Theatre one. She should not have been loading the canon to be sure, but her being there would have been normal.
    “What are you fighting for anyhow?”
    “I’m fighting because you are down here.”
    - Confederate prisoner to Union soldier.

As someone who is organizing event currently I can say $20 for registration isn't bad at all. Between renting the amount of land they did, building that bridge, insurance, and water, $20 a head disappears pretty fast. I doubt very much that any of that registration money went anywhere. And accroding to the event website the proceeds from admissions will go towards

■An 8,000-square-foot museum addition to house the Civil War Museum collection of over 15,000 trans-Mississippi artifacts
    ■Land preservation to protect the pristine nature of the battlefield and the rural character of the area surrounding it
    ■Educational programs for the public and the more than 8,000 school children who visit the battlefield each year
    Brandon Hand
    48th NY CO. F
    Middleburg Fl.

Lightbulb Wilson Creek

Quote Originally Posted by desotobob View Post
    Oh, Dougy - OK i will answer you. The organizers of this event is The Wilson Creek Foundation, not the Blue Gray Alliance. You should go to them for your questions. And no, you do not have a right to know,as I do not either. As has been said before - if you are not happy about an event and where the money has gone, make your voice known by not attending. The only "right" I have at these events is to expect unsafe practices will not be tolerated. Other than that, it is a hobby.

Mayor

Since the BGA (Cleburnes/1st. Federal) had the leadership role in this Event I thought you might know. I guess my question should be forwarded to someone in leadership. Lot of money at play here Mayor-----------------------not to much to ask. I can see by your response you don't care. Others on the Forum including myself do. Actor's on a stage Mayor. Some of us are still defining our role and the events/organizations we support. Keep up the good work.

Always
    Doug Thomas
    Lyons-Kentucky CS
    Last edited by captdougofky; 08-18-2011 at 01:48 PM.
    Holding on the High ground

Doug

The BGA had military command only for this.

All site costs, amenities, and such like were the responsibility of the Wilsons Creek Foundation. Cleburns registration system was used to register reenactors, but funds were remitted to the Wilson's Creek Foundation, and all spectator fees, sutler fees, and food vendor fees controlled by them.

We hope they made a boatload of money for the educational purposes listed above. What those of us who drove into a poorly prepared, poorly organized site are ticked about is that lack of basic services we expect, including the amount of land initially pledged---and that were promised in the initial budget process.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Isabella_Grey View Post
    The woman in the skirt was most likely acting as a Vivandiere.... but her being there would have been normal.
    No it would not. Women in the ranks was not normal, vivandiere's were not normal, ice angels were not normal etc. Only in today's reenacting world do some consider that to be normal. I sure do wish folks would crack a book once in a while and actually research impressions.
    Michael Comer

Lightbulb Wilson Creek

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster View Post
    Doug

The BGA had military command only for this.

All site costs, amenities, and such like were the responsibility of the Wilsons Creek Foundation. Cleburns registration system was used to register reenactors, but funds were remitted to the Wilson's Creek Foundation, and all spectator fees, sutler fees, and food vendor fees controlled by them.

We hope they made a boatload of money for the educational purposes listed above. What those of us who drove into a poorly prepared, poorly organized site are ticked about is that lack of basic services we expect, including the amount of land initially pledged---and that were promised in the initial budget process.

Mrs. Lawson

I agree, I hope they made a ship-load of money. Anything over 100 feet considered a ship (USCG 75-79). Takes more to fill it up. Museums etc. is the what most if not all of us would like to see. My concern and those of us who have done the Hobby for awhile realize with the 150's at play and the amount of money at stake, pre-event advertizing should reflect who benefits. One need only to look at the impact Bull Run had. Numbers (money) has been posted by a lot of your Pards on the CPH side, not to much to ask of the Event organizers who ever they are. Too many times in the past events say they lose money--------never show the books. Since Wilson Creek was held in the Show-Me-State this should not be viewed as a unreasonable request.
    Keep up the good work.

Always
    Doug Thomas
    Lyons-Kentucky CS
    Last edited by captdougofky; 08-18-2011 at 02:42 PM.
    Holding on the High ground

Quote Originally Posted by captdougofky View Post
    Mrs. Lawson

I agree, I hope they made a ship-load of money. Anything over 100 feet considered a ship (USCG 75-79). Takes more to fill it up. Museums etc. is the what most if not all of us would like to see. My concern and those of us who have done the Hobby for awhile realize with the 150's at play and the amount of money at stake, pre-event advertizing should reflect who benefits. One need only to look at the impact Bull Run had. Numbers (money) has been posted by a lot of your Pards on the CPH side, not to much to ask of the Event organizers who ever they are. Too many times in the past events say they lose money--------never show the books. Since Wilson Creek was held in the Show-Me-State this should not be viewed as a unreasonable request.
    Keep up the good work.

Always
    Doug Thomas
    Lyons-Kentucky CS
    That"s very simply accomplished by verifying who is the organizing entity and asking where the money goes. If it isn't answered to your satisfaction, don't go. I stopped going to Gettysburg for that very reason, but I still attend other events that financials aren't released to the public because I benefit in various ways and enjoy them. If money is a major concern to you, as it appears to be from your many posts about the matter "actors on a stage", etc., you deserve to have the answers you seek or you should vote with your feet (and gas, tires, and time) and just not go. There are enough quality events with staffs who are very open about where the money goes - folks like Chris Anders and Bill Rodman come out after every event and very publicly account for the dinero. Those are the guys who get my support.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012