Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: A Private Looks at Wilson's Creek

Just wanted to post of a picture of the 24th Missouri at Wilson's Creek. We were fourth company in Dom Dal Bello's AoP, with the Holmes Brigade and some west coats types. Cal Kinzer of Oklahoma was Captain, standing at left, next to 1st Sgt Frank Stiltman. At right is 2nd Sgt Mark Vlahos of New Braunfels Texas, formerly of Sykes Regulars. I've been part of some first class companies over the years, many times with Cal and the AoP as well. This group of guys was as good as I've seen.

Mike Phineas
    Arlington, TX
    24th Missouri
    Army of the Frontier
    www.24thmissouri.org

\"The floggings will continue until morale improves...\"

Warning, Will Robinson...!
    In just another day or two, I will have a few hundred images of Wilson's Creek on display.
    Yes, the good, bad and the... horrible... will be on display for all to see.
    Be forwarned.
    Julio
    Julio C. Zangroniz, Independent Photojournalist
    www.zphotos.smugmug.com
    Jzangroniz@comcast.net

Default Situation dealt with

Quote Originally Posted by Jubilo View Post
    How amusing that a hobby based on the military cannot maintain or enforce discipline or avoid reckless behavior. Commanders have radios/cell phones. Better the event security or local police than to experience trip-wires or retaliatory violence. Any animal killed or injured by such antics would not benefit the owner or the hobby. In years past we have experienced scenario busting to live shooting; if you were not already in this hobby how would you view it?
    all for the old flag,
    David Corbett
    I am getting chances to read the postings on here a minute here and a minute there. I wanted to take a moment and address the situation I see several post's about...i.e. the night operations issues that were encountered.

After receiving a call from the Federal Commander that explained to me what was going on and what devastation was being caused I immediately addressed the situation. An order was issued immediately that all night operations would cease and no one was to leave the camp the following night (Saturday) for any incursion of any type into the Federal camp. I issued this order, not because I do not like night operations or think they shouldn't happen, rather, I issued it in the interest of safety. It is inherent in the overall command staff of any event to do their best to ensure the safety of every reenactor and equine participant on the event site. Night operations will occur at subsequent events under a more refined command structure and with more guidance for those participating. A list of do's and don'ts is being put together along those lines and the issues will be addressed directly with those that it involves with future operations performed in a much safer manner.

As to the courts martial. The officer was actually court martialed on Sunday morning because it was believed that he had violated the order issued Friday that stated no operations on Saturday night. In period manner, as befits the setting, we held a court martial of the individual and his immediate subordinate and addressed the alleged disobedience to orders. The gentleman was acquitted due to the fact that he had no violated the order but did in fact collude with one of his Federal pards in order to play a prank on his commander. Obviously the point was made as there were a couple hundred in attendance at the courts martial and all left the event with a better understanding of the safety issue with open minds on addressing the situation in order not to have a repeat performance.

The command staff of any event is tasked with dealing with all types and varieties of situations that arise at an event (not matter how large or small the event is). It takes alot of skill in dealing with a multitude of vastly different personalities and different attitudes. Everyone at an event is there voluntarily, but with the understanding that there are rules and the rules will be enforced. It takes a measured response to each situation to ensure the outcome is neither to harsh in minor cases and severe enough in serious cases to balance things. We do not have totalitarian control of all participants while at an event but we do have the authority and the responsibility to protect those who are in attendance from those who perform unsafe acts and those who may potentially cause injury to others. Command structure, right down to the first sargeants is critical in this endeavor. The overall command staff cannot have eyes on everyone at every moment but we expect each person with responsibility within their unit, battalion, brigade or division to correct improper behavior and to send the information up the line if it requires higher authority to deal with it.
    Mark Way
    Chief of Staff
    Cleburne's Division
    www.cleburnes-division.com
    150th Anniversary Battle of Farmington/Corinth - September 2012
    www.battleoffarmington.com
    150th Anniversary Battle of Vicksburg/Raymond - October 2012
    www.friendsofraymond.org
    150th Anniversary Battle of Gettysburg - June 27-30, 2013
    www.bluegraygettysburg.com
    150th Anniversary Battle of Chickamauga September 2013
    www.150thanniversarychickamauga.com
    Blue Gray Alliance member

Well, I've been watching this and I think everything has been said on the down side; water, firewood, cars in camps, inconsiderate folks with modern stuff all over camps, but as someone said above, the night incursions in the Federal camps by 12 year old dis-mounted cav guys with endless ammo playing army, and the adults riding horses around in the dark who should know better, the units need to be held accountable. It didn't happen, it isn't part of the scenario, and it was irritating if not irresponsible.

On the positive side, I was privileged to fall in with Dom Dal Bello and the 2nd Bn of the Frontier Brigade which was the Army of the Pacific guys, Holmes Brigade and the 24th MO. It was a great experience with some really good and serious living historians, and it made the overall nature of the event an enjoyable time for me to be part of that environment at the north-west end of the Federal camp.
    Frank Siltman
    Cannoneer, Fort Sill Historic Gun Detachment
    24th MO Vol Inf
    Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

After receiving a call from the Federal Commander that explained to me what was going on and what devastation was being caused I immediately addressed the situation. An order was issued immediately that all night operations would cease and no one was to leave the camp the following night (Saturday) for any incursion of any type into the Federal camp. I issued this order, not because I do not like night operations or think they shouldn't happen, rather, I issued it in the interest of safety. It is inherent in the overall command staff of any event to do their best to ensure the safety of every reenactor and equine participant on the event site.
    I have a question about this "command staff" policy.

This is an honest question, I am truly curious as to how this stuff works.

What actual real authority do the "command staff" have?

Can the command staff eject people from the event if they are not part of the host organization?

What compels people to obey the rules of the pretend rank structure?

In the reenacting games I am familiar with, the events are run by our own people, under a national umbrella organization. As such, the people hosting the event have real-world authority to ask people to obey the rules and/or eject them from site if they do not, and can call on local real-world law enforcement to have them removed for trespassing if necessary. All of this is outside any of the "pretend" rank structures inside the organization, which can only apply peer pressure.

How does this work in Civil War reenacting?

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

Steve,

It works much the same way, except that there are regional umbrella groups rather than one national organization.

Gentlemen's Agreements prevail as the mode of authority, with the occassional reliance on event security/local law enforcement. Some regional alliances have an incorporated structure with bylaws and such, others are more loose alliances.

Politics are interesting. Occassionally you will see someone refer to "two hobbies" . From my vantage point, and looking narrowly at an area roughly west of the Appalachians and comprising the Mississippi Valley----I see three hobbies with different ways of operating and different agendas in reenacting the Civil War.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads