Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: A Private Looks at Wilson's Creek

Bill,

My understanding is that a courts martial took place subsequent to the second horseback raid inside the camp.

Whether there was any teeth to it, I have not a clue. I'll find out eventually, but I have not even unpacked yet, never mind gotten on the phone.

I know what was said to the one captured offender, as I witnessed the bulk of it, said some of it, and attempted to be a voice of restraint to some of my best friends who were correct and justified in high anger at the sort of malicious idiotic yahooism we were subjected to.

Mules on pickett were closest to the path of this 'raid'---that, and some little children who were in camps on the occasion of a wedding party. The Federal Provost exercised a great deal of restraint and common sense in dealing with this situation, as tempers were very high. Mine was no exception-I was still aching and bruised from the tumble I took avoiding the mayhem on the first night.

This much I know. The raiders come from a unit with a track record of such off the map actions. Their immediate commander has not taken action in the past.

Horses and mules are prey animals. When picketed, they have less chance of utilizing their best defense against threat--flight. It's cruel and malicious for anyone, but
    especially another equine owner, to intentionally harm them.

And of course, only a true coward would think it grand to gallop through a group of women and children.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

the offender was from the 8th Texas Cavalry - Terry's Texas Ranger's.....supposedly...

I recall the back (AND FORTH) raids at Wilson's Leak....including the 4PM gallop down the company street. the 10th MO Cavalry commander (Bob Howlett) was literally caught taking a nature call and was given the universal 'shhh' sign.....a few moments later they lit up Terry Crowder's HQ tent......

also the 5AM raid at Franklin of the CSA camp

company street galloping is probably not the safest activity in the world......no matter what time of day or how well scouted (for tent lines, holes, etc.) the sitchy-ation are.
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

My understanding is that a courts martial took place subsequent to the second horseback raid inside the camp.
    I'm just an outsider looking in at this from the accounts here, but it seems ridiculous to me that you have such unsafe things happening and it is dealt with by holding a "courts martial".

It sounds to me like responding to real issues with pretend (Moderated; word referring to the excrement from the male of the bovine species). Might they lose their pretend rank or something in punishment? Wowee.

People needed to be ejected from the event.

Steve
    Last edited by FloridaHoosier; 08-22-2011 at 05:26 PM.
    Steve Sheldon

Steve,

Yep. You're looking from a different vantage point and don't know how things get handled internally.

That's the advantage of the amount of time we spend on sit down meetings, especially with a growing organization. There's a number of folks intent on solving this problem, and we've time to hear everyone out and come to some conclusions before we take the field again.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

"but it seems ridiculous to me that you have such unsafe things happening and it is dealt with by holding a "courts martial"."

Suppose there was a problem and they wrongly thought you were at fault. Would you want a hearing into the facts or kneejerk? It doesn't mean you're soft on crime, it just means you make reasonably sure you've got the right person.

Sorry about the language thing, didn't realize this was a no-cussing forum.

Suppose there was a problem and they wrongly thought you were at fault. Would you want a hearing into the facts or kneejerk? It doesn't mean you're soft on crime, it just means you make reasonably sure you've got the right person.

Admittedly, I don't know what constitutes a "courts marshal" in the sense it is used here.

If this means notifying the person in charge of the event and having him or her pass judgement and toss the offender off site, then I'm all for "courts martial". If this is some sort of pseudo-military theatrics concerning pretend chains of command, then I stand by my original assessment. Rule infractions, and in particular major safety issues like barreling horses through camp sites as described ought to be handled by those in charge of the event, and ought to result in the offenders being booted off site. It was stated that one of the offenders was "captured", so in that particular case there should not have been much debate.

Anyway I'll shut up now as I don't have a dog in this hunt.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

How amusing that a hobby based on the military cannot maintain or enforce discipline or avoid reckless behavior. Commanders have radios/cell phones. Better the event security or local police than to experience trip-wires or retaliatory violence. Any animal killed or injured by such antics would not benefit the owner or the hobby. In years past we have experienced scenario busting to live shooting; if you were not already in this hobby how would you view it?
    all for the old flag,
    David Corbett

[QUOTE=31stWisconsin;187246]I have mixed feelings about this event. My disappointment was the near disregard for history for the Saturday morning battle. As someone who has put together an accurate 3rd Missouri Lyon's Fahnenwacht impression since the Camp Jackson Affair, I was looking forward to finishing it out. Which means a complete rout of the camped rebel forces by artillery barrage, Sigel marching in, poorly placing his troops, and having them rout completely off the field after one good volley by the rebel forces. Unfortunately, it appears burning powder is more important than history. The battle on Saturday morning was just another stand up fight, with cavalry and artillery on both sides that should not have been there, and federal battalions getting on line and fighting it out. Does this mean that the majority of reenactors would not have fired a shot? Yes, but aren't we here to portray history? For my part, most of my company ran, and I saw a few others, but most did not.

QUOTE]

Tim, I think you need to reread what Sigel had to say about Saturday's battle....he had artillery, 121 cavalry, etc. [with cavalry and artillery on both sides that should not have been there]

http://www.nps.gov/wicr/historycultu...onel-sigel.htm

Fairly difficult to get unit's to move hundreds of yards back and forth.....50-100 we are doing fairly well....I remember at Franklin (Shy's Hill) we couldn't get the Frontier Brigade to assault the hill 3 times and retreat twicest....they couldn't physically do it. i don't know if you'd like to personally stand the liability insurance for totally routing out a CSA cavalry camp with untacked horses slumbering in the early morning gloaming.....sounds like a disaster to the encroaching spectator line.....

and even 'the entire front line went down' or' the entire force routed' turns out to be not the case....they fired a lot (burned powder) and some units retired in good order, etc. and most of the men survived.....

And unfortunately, although we are here to portray history.......you can't dress people up, have them travel 1,000 miles to play, and not let them play. Simple as that.

You guys looked great by the way, and it was good to see Cal (and Dom!) in the field.
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

Quote Originally Posted by Artyman View Post
    One big unanswered? How many guys show'd up?
    If no one else has answered that one I can. We had 2930 pre registered when I left the house on the Saturday previous to the event. It is my understanding that the Foundation had another 100 t0 150 walk ons which would put us around 3080 total. The ratios were around 2 to 1 (CS Favored) which was actually historically accurate for the battle. There has been some discussion amoung the various CS organization commanders on force ratios and how we can arrange battle participations that will balance the ratios even when the registrations are not balanced. Further conversations will take place at command levels and more refinement of the system will occur. It is pleasing and reassuring to see so many organizational commanders working together to make these events a success.
    Mark Way
    Chief of Staff
    Cleburne's Division
    www.cleburnes-division.com
    150th Anniversary Battle of Farmington/Corinth - September 2012
    www.battleoffarmington.com
    150th Anniversary Battle of Vicksburg/Raymond - October 2012
    www.friendsofraymond.org
    150th Anniversary Battle of Gettysburg - June 27-30, 2013
    www.bluegraygettysburg.com
    150th Anniversary Battle of Chickamauga September 2013
    www.150thanniversarychickamauga.com
    Blue Gray Alliance member

Default Toilet Paper

Yeah, the toilet paper ran out but people managed. Lol Seth Graves can tell you that lysol wipes indeed are not to be used on Private areas! By the time I got back to our camp I was ready for a sit down in the creek. But he used a shirt and I used liquid fire. I could complain about the event but I met some very nice folks and got to more than just recreate a battle. Saturdays evening battle I became a history teacher and tried to answer questions. Even the spectaters could see "bad impressions" in fact the question was why are they dressed like bleep. I didnt know what to really say except that those folks either didnt know or mostly didnt care. Had a great time. Showed some greenhorns how to start a fire with horrible wood and was able to finally enjoy myself

Black Jack Mess
    John A Logan