Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: A Private Looks at Wilson's Creek

Mrs. Lawson, my ears are still ringing, the cannon was set up no farther than 30 yards from my tent as I was set up right beside the ford. BTW, I still have $15 in "funny money" that I forgot was in my pocket after buying some water at the Ball. I guess it can be a momento of the battle..........

Mike
    Mike McGee
    Cure All Mess - Hard Case Boys
    -------------------------------------
    In Honor: Pvt. Francis Marion Agee- G, G, G-Uncle
    Company H, 22nd TN Infantry Regiment
    KIA Battle of Shiloh April 6, 1862
    Resting in Peace on that Hallowed Ground

Wilson's Creek...Well I worked 2 days preparing for the event; going through gear I needed/didn't need. Packed, unpacked...lightened my load and packed again. Finally I show up with what I needed for the event in my tumpline and haversack. The march was interesting but I found being fully loaded was tolerable. I had a great time in all. I learned a ton from my pards. Our crew had a motley assortment of clothing, accoutrements, and weapons..all researched and all accurate. We even had one poorly clad (and I say that as a complement) lad who didn't wear shoes for a large portion of the event. We had a wonderful banner we carried into battle flying high above our troops that I had the priviledge to guard. Sleeping on the ground the MSG slept on gave me chills as I watched the sun set at the Edwards House. It was so humbling as I sat over my fire making my supper using issued rations and goods brought from home that the men very well could've have had...and yes it tasted all the much better.

Did I complain at Wilson's Creek? Sure I did...I was a private in a state militia unit, that's what they did. Were their crazy briar laden areas that we were sent to fire from? Yes there was, but folks, don't you think those boys were sent to just as crazy places.

In all reality, were there problems at this event? Yes, there were. The stobs, the cars, the tacticals on sulter row... But I am sure glad I went. I got to do what I LOVE to do with folks that share the same passion and love that I do. Folks go to events looking for different things; whether its vacation, history, or a mixture of both. I found what I went looking for.
    Seth Graves

Black Jack Mess
    http://18thillinois.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Proud member of the 44th Indiana Co. A Adjunct at Twin Rivers-Western Brigade 2010
    Proud member of Missouri State Guard Burbridge's Brigade Adjunct Wilson's Creek 2011
    Proud member of the 18th Illinois Infantry at Shiloh (BGA)- Western Federal Blues 2012
    "War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over."
    -William Tecumseh Sherman

Default Thanks for the pics, the Arkansas troops are portraying the Hempstead Rifles, 3rd Ark

Thanks Mr. McBride,

My sons and I are in your picture of Arkansas troops. We were portraying the Hempstead Rifles (Washington Arkansas) from photos of the unit, the original tintype of the company is on display over at the museum on the park - the boys with the big knives.

The Hempstead Rifles became Co. E, 3rd Arkansas State Troops (90 day service).

Thanks again for the photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil McBride View Post
    OK, Mr. Spain, your clarifications are appreciated. Here are a couple pictures of the Texas and Arkansas troops in the other battalions in the 2nd Brigade of Cleburne's Division, and one of Burbridge's Battalion. They all look pretty good to me for 1861 troops.

Phil McBride
    Adjutant, 2nd Brigade, Cleburne's Division at Wilson's Creek

Quote Originally Posted by ILYankee5 View Post
    In all reality, were there problems at this event? Yes, there were. The stobs, the cars, the tacticals on sulter row... But I am sure glad I went. I got to do what I LOVE to do with folks that share the same passion and love that I do. Folks go to events looking for different things; whether its vacation, history, or a mixture of both. I found what I went looking for.
    Seth, we're going to have to work on that attitude problem you have.
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B

Haha yeah Bernie I have issues Hope to see you in the field again soon!
    Seth Graves

Black Jack Mess
    http://18thillinois.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Proud member of the 44th Indiana Co. A Adjunct at Twin Rivers-Western Brigade 2010
    Proud member of Missouri State Guard Burbridge's Brigade Adjunct Wilson's Creek 2011
    Proud member of the 18th Illinois Infantry at Shiloh (BGA)- Western Federal Blues 2012
    "War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over."
    -William Tecumseh Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster View Post
    Excellent perspective Ron.

The 1:00 am skirmishes: Sigh.
    Okay, I'm all for folks having a good time. Intermittantant gunfire is to be expected at these things. What is not to be expected is men acting against direct orders and choosing to ride **** bent through occupied camps at full dark, shooting up the place, not just one night, but discarding their order for the second night and doing it again. There were children underfoot, and terrified animals breaking pickett.

Fight on the perimeter outside of camps when these sorts of ad hoc skirmishes are agreed upon, have at it, and have a good time. Get creative and put some doxies in the General's tent to distract him, then capture him. Go for it and have fun. Lets play.

But running horses through a darkened camp at high speeds would be just as stupid as firing a cannon with a real load down a company street.
    So, let me ask this question. What happened or will happen to the people and commanders who allowed the above situations to take place? Did someone talk to them to explain the unsafe conditions they were creating? If nothing was done and the practice continues, then we are looking at this type of behavior to continue and to have accidents occur.
    Bill Jordan

If no one died, it was a successful event.

I just found my password, so I don't have a clue.
    Tom
    Outcast Mess

Dear Sir,
    One unfortunate accident + massive litigation= problem solved. I don't think this would have happened at Manassas as the event security was a constant presence. The commanders should contact event security or local police. Lack of discipline in a hobby involving weapons and live animals is a recipe for disaster and will not reflect well upon us .
    all for the old flag,
    David Corbett

I would agree. Not only does this reckless behavior led to safety issues, but also other safety issues. As someone mentioned earlier, you would have horses on picket lines and to have this type of activity going on during "quiet hours" is not only foolish, but unnecessary. Equine stock needs rest just like everyone else and a picket line is supposed to be their "safe haven" during these events. It allows them to relax and eat, not worried about some "Yahoo" riding through at all hours shooting, etc. I think for some of these so called "commanders" a little common sense would go a long way.
    You also have to worry about keeping troops awake when not required. Let's face it, the average reenactor is not a 18 or 20 year troop. We tend to be of "advance years" and not use to burning the candle at both ends. To have someone suffer lack of or no sleep is uncalled for.
    Bill Jordan

So what's the solution......inward facing pickets covering every trail out of camp......or every picket line......and of course their are those that ride to the sutlers (and with legitimate (visit Doug Kidd) or authentic needs (yep, they used horses for shopping back then, and we all know the story of the cowboys who will go a half mile out in the pasture to get their horse to go get the mail down on the road rather than walk a quarter mile down plus back to get their mail)....and can easily meet at the beer hall and then ride on over for a drive by. The MULES in Federal Camp were the most bothered by this, positively went ballistic.....

Personally I liked the tactical aspect and 24/7 action of TR.....but we need to be aware that night raids and assaults were rare as hen's teeth during the ACW....
    Especially with the hot weather at WC leaving both man and beast exhausted, let's back off on the non authentic 10PM assaults and 5AM raids and leave that to traditional picket post interactions.....
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "