Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manuals

Default Oops-Correction

Quote Originally Posted by EF32dINdrummer View Post
    The tune marked "Dead March" is the one we know today as "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing"(!).
    Dead March = Christmas Carol? Yes, but upon closer inspection, it is actually: "Adeste Fidelis/O Come, All Ye Faithful...".

Please be patient--it seems I have not yet been granted permission to post attachments, but when I can, I will (altho I've sent PDF's to Will C of LHD+FC, who has offered to post them on my behalf. 3 Rolls for Will!!)

Regards,

Here are the first two pages of the manuscript Ed has kindly provided. The first thing I noticed was the similarity to Strube's 1869 manual for the first 3 tunes of the reveille. So I have also attached a side by side comparison of 3 Camps, Slow Scotch and Austrian. The Hessian is nearly identical to the version that is pretty much universal to all the other manuals except B&E and Hart. The Dutch and Quick Scotch have a couple variations from the "standard" versions.

I will upload the others and share what else I know shortly.

Sue Cifaldi believes this manuscript was prepared in 1858.

HENKE_1_THREE_CAMPS-SLOW_SCOTCH-AUSTRIAN-TIN_KETTLE.jpgHENKE_2_HESSIAN-DUTCH-QUICK_SCOTCH-YANKEE_DOODLE_NATIONAL_AIR.jpghenke-strube-comparison.jpg
    Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 03-09-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Page 10:

"Respectfully forwarded to Gen. [Sylvester] Churchill...[by]A. Cady.

Sergt. C. Henke, Instructor of Fife
    Sergt. M. Moore, Instructor of Drum

Ft. Columbus, New York, N.Y."

Charles Henke and Michael "Daddy" Moore were instructors at Gov. Island for decades. Churchill wanted to revise Scott's Tactics-- that was the impetus for this manuscript of camp duty for the fife.