Thread: Morning Parade

Default Morning Parade

After the band plays the Duke of York and is at the end of the formation, do they march back in front or behind the soldiers? I have seen both ways but I cannot find the regulations for this.

Also, its there a prescribed tune for marching back? I have heard Yankee Doodle all the way to the Minstrel boy.
    Rachel Kelly
    ---------------------------
    R.L.Kelly / S.A.Miles & Co.
    Rachel L. Kelly SEWING79NY@yahoo.com
    Shane A. Miles MILES79NY@aol.com

Most of the manuals (Hart, Nevins, Howe, etc.) have instructions for this, including how to march down and back. Use the search function to find out where they are available online for free. Dog and Gun is the troop in some sources. DOY was the Duke of York's Favorite Troop, but it may or may have not been a favorite during the Civil War. It's in a couple manuals, but that is not evidence of it being actually used. Generally, musicians played whatever they happened to know. No specific tunes are required. Traditionally, a piece in 3/4 or 4/4 was used on the way down and a quickstep on the way back. As far as Minstrel Boy is concerned, it is in no fife and drum manuals from the period, there are no accounts of it being played by fifers, and probably was not all that popular until reenactor fifers started playing it to death. I have read a post-war account of a fifer recalling that Villlage (Bartlett's) Quickstep was popular at dress parades during the war. Duke of York's or Dog and Gun on the way down and Yankee Doodle on the way back would be fine. But there are plenty of other choices. There is a tune called "Troop for Guard Mounting" in Keach 1861, Howe 1862, and is also in American Veteran Fifer.

We often troop down with Endearing Young Charms......and often with a small brass band.....

We always pass in FRONT of the colors and the covering officer (the Colonel). Company commanders are on line, never in front of their commands....you are saluting the Colors, not the Captains....
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

The song would be at the whim of the commander as would the time of parade.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

The 137th NY performed way, way better than the 20th Maine at Gettysburg. They just didn't have a self promoting blow hard of a Col. leading them.
    "I didn't do my homework when I was in school. And, you expect me to do yours for you? Not happening."

And for the regulations for where the band Marches? I have seen bands march both behind and infront of the formation, which way is correct?
    Rachel Kelly
    ---------------------------
    R.L.Kelly / S.A.Miles & Co.
    Rachel L. Kelly SEWING79NY@yahoo.com
    Shane A. Miles MILES79NY@aol.com

"The music will then, while standing, beat eight bars of common or troop time...then march four paces to the front, wheel to the left and march to the left of the guard, wheel or counter-march and return in front of the guard to their post on the right of the line."

-Hart (1862)

http://www.fifedrum.org/resources/mu...hart54sr.shtml

That is just how it is described in one civilian publication. So you could look in other sources for variations.

Howe:

http://www.nationalcivilwarbrassmusi...Instructor.pdf

Keach:

http://www.nationalcivilwarbrassmusi...ook_Ditson.pdf

Nevins:

http://www.archive.org/details/armyregulationsf00nevi

Am reading a Michigan Infantryman's diary......they have Parade at 6 every day......that's PM.....
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "