Thread: English made .577 Enfield cartridge wrappers and/or labels

Default English made .577 Enfield cartridge wrappers and/or labels

Greetings learned members,

I am writing from distant Australia so forgive my ignorance of forum protocol.
    I am aware the CSA was supplied with packaged bundles of 577 Enfield paper cartridges & that such UK manufactured bundles had their own distinctive wrappers and/or labels describing contents. As the same cartridges were also standard issue throughout Britain's Empire (including the Australian Colonies) I'm assuming the wrapper markings would be the same and as I am attempting to recreate authentic .577 Enfield cartridge bundles I would like to know what these wrappers looked like & whether any enterprising forum member can direct me to a source of such authentic UK type wrappers/labels - including on the correct type of paper used in such wrappers? If anyone supplies said wrappers I would be pleased to purchase a stock of them for my own use. While I appreciate the Union & Confederate forces would have had their own wrappers, these would not have been available in the Australian Colonies during the 1860s (hence my interest in UK made wrappers only). If any person or persons can enlighten me I would be eternally grateful & would be happy to pay for the supply of such Enfield 577 wrappers. I can be contacted directed by my email rpratt@ecn.net.au (rpratt at ecn.net.au).
    Best wishes,
    Redcoat Rod

I highly recommend the 4-volume series of books by Dean S. Thomas called, "Round Ball to Rimfire". Volume 4 covers Confederate ammunition but also from Page 214-239 discusses the British Enfield cartridge in particular, with many pictures of surviving cartridges. The Confederacy tried through much of the Civil War to standardize on the British Enfield cartridge, but suffered greatly in trying to achieve uniform bullet sizes and consistent supplies of consistent-quality paper.

There were different manufacturers, such as Eley Brothers, J. Schlesinger & Co., William Pursall & Co., Kynoch & Co., Pritchett, E&A Ludlow, and others. Each marked their cartridges differently. Some may not have been marked on the cartridge itself at all.

Also note that there were different types of Enfield cartridge as it evolved from 1855, to 1859, to 1860.

You might be interested in a web page I made on the subject here:

http://4thla.weebly.com/paper-cartid...formation.html

I also have a video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzA9aXEyT-c

Steve
    Steve Sheldon