Thread: tintype frames/cases

Default tintype frames/cases

I had a few tintypes taken this weekend and was wondering what the best type of frame is to put them in, so they wont fade. Can I use any picture frame they would fit in, or would I want something special such as uv glass?

Thanks..

Gambit

ps if this is in the wrong place i apologize but I didn't know where to put it

Far as I know, tintypes don't really fade. Paper prints do if they're not properly "fixed," but tintypes are pretty stable. People who know more about photography can correct me, but I think you'd be okay with regular glass.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com

Default Don't let the glass touch the image

Frame the tintype with a matte to separate the glass from the image's surface. If contact is made, the picture could stick to the glass. In period cases, you'll notice the separation is made with the gold colored matte, often oval shaped.
    Also, as with any artwork, don't hang a tintype where it can be in direct sun.

Thanks guys Ill try to make a trip to michaels sometime this week to get some a few frames and something to make a matte.. I know the photographer told me not to rub touch the two togeather and to avoid sunlight so now i have to find a place for em.

Thanks again

Gambit

I did buy a few plain black frames with white mattes from Michaels. The tintypes sit on my mantel and are as good as the day they were made. I can also recommend the following for a spot-on repro that my favorites are in. (I have 8 so far)
    http://www.moderndayantique.com/Contact_us___Order.html
    Robert Orrand
    Forrest Camp #215, SCV
    Mayor of Dover, Little York, Purdy, Raymond, LaFayette - and now, Gettysburg
    4th TN CSA - Co A - Shelby Greys

Keep it out of direct sunlight for any long period of time. It is either ambrotypes or tin types that will get sunstruck. I can't remember which but I have one. There is a light washed out space on the image.

Why don't you buy a period frame for it. They can be had reasonable price.
    Jim Mayo
    Member of the old vets mess.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Having spent a considerable amount of my adult life in the photography business, here are some tips. These apply to tintypes as well as modern photos. Direct sunlight is extremely hard on photographs. It will, over time, cause them to fade or yellow, depending on the chemical process used. Heat (as from a fireplace...you mentioned mantel) can cause premature aging. If you use your fireplace infrequently, you shouldn't have any problems but if you use it regularly, you might consider another display location. Humidity, such as what we have in NC can cause "sticking". Basically, the photo adheres to the glass from the up and down swing of the moisture in the air. An air conditioned home is nowhere near as susceptible to this problem as one with air from outdoors coming through regularly. I'd like to have a dollar for every time someone came in to our studio with a treasured photo of a deceased loved one that was damaged basically by neglect. With that said, tintypes, even though the chemical processes used are antique, are still around after 150 years, many looking as good as the day they were taken. It's hard to say the same about photos taken 20-30 years ago with "modern" equipment.

You have used the previous advice wisely by matting the tintype and framing it. This separates the photo itself from the glass, and if you keep it out of the sunny part of the room, you will enjoy this tintype for years...it may even become a family heirloom! I hope I've helped some!

Gregg Hensley
    22 NC, Co. K
    40 Illinois, Co. I
    Carolina Legion
    Last edited by Gregg Hensley; 05-31-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Left something out