Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Music where there was none historically

Quote Originally Posted by hanktrent View Post
    More seriously, I agree with what Mrs. Lawson said. A piper shouldn't demand to be where none is allowed by the rules, and where the rules allow pipers, other participants shouldn't enforce imaginary rules against them.

I've never been to Remembrance Day, but from the pictures I've seen and what I've heard, it's a parade, isn't it, not an attempt at recreating a specific historic event?

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com
    I agree with you exactly. Remembrance Day is a parade, not a reenactment. No matter what it is however, there is no place for physical threats.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 th Alabama Infantry View Post
    I agree with you exactly. Remembrance Day is a parade, not a reenactment. No matter what it is however, there is no place for physical threats.
    Rude behavior or intimidation is never acceptable, particularly physical threats. Regretfully, some participants at Remembrance Day lose the focus of what the event is supposed to be about....honoring those that fought and died there. It is not a reenactment...the individual pipers I have observed at the event are members of the SUV and SCV. Considering these individuals are commemorating their ancestors whose blood they share, they have an a dominant right as descendents to peacefully enjoy
    participation in an event being sponsored by a descendent organization.

All too often, parades are confused with reenactments.......the recent debacle in Baltimore being a prime example. Confederates and US Colored troops were prohibited from participating ostensibly on the basis of "historical accuracy" yet the Committee saw fit to invite bands and fife and drum corps when there was clear and compelling evidence that no marching bands or fife and drum corps participated in the event being portrayed. One has to question how such arbitrary decisions can be made within the pretext of maintaining historical accuracy.
    Terry from Occupied Baltimore
    "As I stood upon the very scene of that conflict, I could not but contrast my position with his, forty-seven years before. The flag which he had then so proudly hailed, I saw waving at the same place over the victims of as vulgar and brutal a despotism as modern times have witnessed."
    Francis Key Howard, Ft. McHenry 1861

Quote Originally Posted by R Beasly View Post
    I hope we would agree that pipers are inappropriate!

Mr. Beasly
    As a part of an actual reenactment yes , I agree , at a parade no.

Now, will you condemn threats of physical violence at both.

How did this turn into a bagpipe frustration thread. The 79th community specifically has improved a great deal. 99% of bagpipes at events these days are being played by confederates.

Lets talk historical accuracy of Bagpipes while we are at it. The 79th New York had a bagpiper from June to October of 1863. There are accounts from the 79th, Texas regiments and other 9th Corp regiments like the 45th PA specifically that talk of bagpipes. The Texas accounts and the PA accounts talk of the "weird music of scotch pipes" marching the Highlanders to Blue Springs.

"We also have a new ' institution' attached to the regimentónothing less than a Scotch 'piper' from Michigan, who joined us on our way down here. He has a full suit of the kilts and often so entertains us with his alleged tunes on the pipes, that we have several times threatened to 'fire him out,' and not allow him to perform again till he learns how. A good deal of excitement was caused by the news of the rebel invasion of Pennsylvania; the absence of reliable information of recent date rendered the situation more uncertain; we did not know but that our own homes might be invaded. "

Page 302 - 303
    The Seventy-ninth Highlanders, New York Volunteers in the War of Rebellion, 1861-1865 - William Todd
    "On the morning of October 10th we marched out of this camp with the weird music of Scotch bagpipes as an accompaniment, the Seventy-ninth New York (Highlanders) being in the lead. We marched leisurely, vacating the road several times for squadrons of cavalry to pass to the rear, and once a battery of artillery passed to the front. It was nearing noon when the sound of artillery firing in front told us the engagement at Blue Springs was on."

Page 88-89 History of the Forty-fifth regiment Pennsylvania veteran volunteer infantry, 1861-1865 - Written by Committee
    If anyone is interested in the other references, I will transcribe the letters.

Im not trying to defend anything. This is what it is. A single bagpiper payed his own way, had his own bagpipes and was not in uniform while fallowing the 79th around through Vicksburg, up through KY, and into East Tennessee. That being said, this is not justification for random pipers.
    Rachel Kelly
    ---------------------------
    R.L.Kelly / S.A.Miles & Co.
    Rachel L. Kelly SEWING79NY@yahoo.com
    Shane A. Miles MILES79NY@aol.com