Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music where there was none historically

Default Music where there was none historically

Curious as to opinions regarding presenting band music to the public at historical events where there is factual evidence that there were no bands present. Would such a presentation distort the observer's view of the historical event? Can this ever be justified as an acceptable accommodation or does this detract from the historical integrity of the presentation?
    Terry from Occupied Baltimore
    "As I stood upon the very scene of that conflict, I could not but contrast my position with his, forty-seven years before. The flag which he had then so proudly hailed, I saw waving at the same place over the victims of as vulgar and brutal a despotism as modern times have witnessed."
    Francis Key Howard, Ft. McHenry 1861

What kind of events are you speaking of?

IMO Bagpipes are the worst offender to historical integrity. Seems like some people think they should be at every event, particually the pipers.
    Jim Mayo
    Member of the old vets mess.

http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

I guess those who truly do not understand the Piper are those who are most offended.

Shall the Prussian re-enactors not be allowed to attend the Lee Jackson ceremony in Baltimore? Or how about the WW2 re-enactors who march with the Yankee troops at Gettysburg?

People attend and participate in events because they are honoring those who went before them. Iím positive that there isnít one Scotsman or Irishman at a WBTS event that is not inspired by the pipes. Itís a heritage thing, try to understand.

Who among us are the most qualified to say who is and isnít allowed to attend historical events? The hobbyist with no blood ties to the WBTS or the descendants of those who offered their lives in maintenance of their Principles?

PVT T A White

Quote Originally Posted by pvt t a white View Post
    Who among us are the most qualified to say who is and isnít allowed to attend historical events? The hobbyist with no blood ties to the WBTS or the descendants of those who offered their lives in maintenance of their Principles?

PVT T A White

In most cases, the rules for a particular event are set by the organizers of that event.

Folks who do not care for those rules are free to either work within the system, organize another event, or stay home.

I recently chose to do just that when an event strayed too far from my comfort level with the historical record. I had a pleasant day at home and planned for something more to my tastes.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Quote Originally Posted by pvt t a white View Post
    I guess those who truly do not understand the Piper are those who are most offended.

Shall the Prussian re-enactors not be allowed to attend the Lee Jackson ceremony in Baltimore? Or how about the WW2 re-enactors who march with the Yankee troops at Gettysburg?

People attend and participate in events because they are honoring those who went before them. Iím positive that there isnít one Scotsman or Irishman at a WBTS event that is not inspired by the pipes. Itís a heritage thing, try to understand.

PVT T A White
    Pvt. White, this has to be the stoopidist post I've seen in a long time. You make some great, grand sweeping assumptions. I'm not inspired!

Mr. Beasly

Who among us are the most qualified to say who is and isn’t allowed to attend historical events? The hobbyist with no blood ties to the WBTS or the descendants of those who offered their lives in maintenance of their Principles?
    Do we have anyone here descended from an ancestor who risked his life to kill a bag-piper? Because I want to sign them up for a few events.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com

All are free to believe what they wish about pipers, but I was there at Remembrance Day and witnessed some 260 pound thug from a federal band attempt to physically intimidate a Confederate piper.

I hope all would agree that such behavior is inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 th Alabama Infantry View Post
    All are free to believe what they wish about pipers, but I was there at Remembrance Day and witnessed some 260 pound thug from a federal band attempt to physically intimidate a Confederate piper.

I hope we would agree that pipers are inappropriate!

Mr. Beasly

Quote Originally Posted by 5 th Alabama Infantry View Post

More seriously, I agree with what Mrs. Lawson said. A piper shouldn't demand to be where none is allowed by the rules, and where the rules allow pipers, other participants shouldn't enforce imaginary rules against them.

I've never been to Remembrance Day, but from the pictures I've seen and what I've heard, it's a parade, isn't it, not an attempt at recreating a specific historic event?

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com

"A place for everything, and everything in its place". Music, as with all impressons, has an appropriate place somewhere according to the historical record. If an actual historical event is being replicated, do the research. If its a parade or generic festival-type event, its up to the organizers to say what's ok. And for the record, being of Scots-Irish heritage, I understand bagpipes. I understand that they are incorrect to almost every Civil War historical event short of the 79th New York marching through New York City in 1861. I understand that I love pipers and music - on a CD at home or in my car, and not at a living history or battle reenactment.
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010