Thread: New drummer

Question New drummer

I have a friend who's 11 yr old boy is interested in a drumming impression. He is a very good modern drummer.

Are there any resources that I should point them towards in discovering this option? What about reproduction drums... who makes them? What should she be looking for in a reproduction drum? What are the dead "farbie" give aways for the drums or the impression in general? What type of clothing is appropriate?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by JennaLeigh View Post
    I have a friend who's 11 yr old boy is interested in a drumming impression. He is a very good modern drummer.

Are there any resources that I should point them towards in discovering this option? What about reproduction drums... who makes them? What should she be looking for in a reproduction drum? What are the dead "farbie" give aways for the drums or the impression in general? What type of clothing is appropriate?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Cooperman drums. best company out there.
    John R. Legg

May 25-27 - Ft.Blakely, Alabama
    June 8-10 - Kennesaw Film Shoot
    September 7-9 - Maryland, My Maryland Campainger Adjunct
    September 15-18 - 6th Wisconsin LH, Antietam National Battlefield
    October 5-7 - 150th Perryville
    January 18-20 - Valley Forge

Paypal
    Johnlegg54@gmail.com

Duplicate post. See below
    Last edited by 33rdaladrummer; 04-19-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JennaLeigh View Post
    What are the dead "farbie" give aways for the drums or the impression in general?
    (1) Plastic aka "fiberskyn" drumheads. A 20th century invention.

(2) Most any reproduction painted designs on drums. Few use the correct oil paints or copy original designs accurately. You're probably better off going with a plain drum than to have a poorly painted one. Go to fielddrums.com to get an idea of what drums should look like.

(3) Rags aka mufflers under the drumhead. Period drums did not have these.

(4) Drums that are too tall. Go to fielddrums.com to get an idea of what drums should look like.

(5) Tunes or drumbeats written after the war. Drum manuals published in 1861 and 1862 are available (for free) at www.fifedrum.org and the National Field Music School's website.

Quote Originally Posted by John Legg View Post
    Cooperman drums. best company out there.
    The choice of skin versus synthetic heads is more important than the choice of manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by 33rdaladrummer View Post
    (1) Plastic aka "fiberskyn" drumheads. A 20th century invention.

(2) Most any reproduction painted designs on drums. Few use the correct oil paints or copy original designs accurately. You're probably better off going with a plain drum than to have a poorly painted one. Go to fielddrums.com to get an idea of what drums should look like.

(3) Rags aka mufflers under the drumhead. Period drums did not have these.

(4) Drums that are too tall. Go to fielddrums.com to get an idea of what drums should look like.

(5) Tunes or drumbeats written after the war. Drum manuals published in 1861 and 1862 are available (for free) at www.fifedrum.org and the National Field Music School's website.

The choice of skin versus synthetic heads is more important than the choice of manufacturer.
    Yes i know. My cooperman drum has period drum heads, that i replaced when I purchased the drum. Still best sounding drum that i've have ever had a chance to play.
    John R. Legg

May 25-27 - Ft.Blakely, Alabama
    June 8-10 - Kennesaw Film Shoot
    September 7-9 - Maryland, My Maryland Campainger Adjunct
    September 15-18 - 6th Wisconsin LH, Antietam National Battlefield
    October 5-7 - 150th Perryville
    January 18-20 - Valley Forge

Paypal
    Johnlegg54@gmail.com