Thread: Butternuts and Bluecoats

Default Butternuts and Bluecoats

Hi Group,
    I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this online sutler? I have a co worker who ordered a Columbus Depot Jacket from him, and it has been 13 weeks now and still no jacket. He took the funds from my co worker and seems like he ignoring his emails. Any input would be greatly appreciated...Tom

i have and got the same from him..took them for ever it seemed to get back to me.
    Andy

I'll preface this with, I've never heard of them or seen any of their products firsthand. I do have some concerns after viewing their website, but not regarding your issue. That is addressed repeatedly on their site (which could use some updating since most of their sections haven't changed in a year or two by their own account)- they say "at least" six weeks or more if their suppliers are backed up. I'm going to guess by their "one type fits all" patterns and their incredibly cheap prices that the goods are imported. If that is the case, most goods out of Pakistan, India, and elsewhere are taking longer to get through customs these days, which would account for the delay. You should be concerned about the lack of response though, but keep trying. If you paid by paypal or credit card you have several options though.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

I've never dealt with them...actually I've never even heard of them before. My guess is by looking at their stuff its probably all cheap imported made in Pakistan stuff. Maybe this is why its taking so long. If it was paid by credit card I would call the card company up and make a dispute. I don't know how much the person spent but you might want tell them to ask a lawyer for advice and file a claim in court to get the money back.
    Retired Civil War Re-enactor

Two years ago I needed a full uniform in a hurry. It was a Monday and I needed a loaner uniform for an event on Saturday! I called B & BC and asked them for a special delivery. Since I do not use credit cards on line, our only option was a C.O.D. order. The order arrived on Friday morning and everything I ordered was there.

The wool goods smelled like they had been in an old steamer trunk down in the basement. It was obviously an import, but there were no Paki tags or anything like that to give away the nation of origin. There were size tags on both pieces showing European type metric sizes. The stuff was machine sewn and the quality about what you'd expect from a high school home ec class. The kepi was flimsy and cheap. The shirt was passable. The shoes were a conglomeration of different leathers, machine sewn soles.

I did not complain because the stuff was real cheap. I rather expected that it would be such as it was, but they were the only company that would guarantee a fast delivery without a credit card. The stuff is all in the loaner box now, the shoes and shirt both long worn out.

So, I don't know what's going on with them and your order, but one time years ago they did do what they said they would, and went out of their way to do it. In spite of that I have never ordered anything from them again. I require higher quality, understandably at a higher price.

Harry
    Member 5th Texas Co. A/1st NC Artillery. Disabled Viet Nam veteran, 1970. I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now! Read my column in "Camp Chase Gazette".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4UcaLHaabY

I had ordered a kepi from them once. It came very quickly. But, that being said, if you look at his "Store", a lot of the items he has are not stocked including items he has for bid on a certain auction site. If you ordered something that was not in his possession, chances are you will be waiting a while. There's a war going on in that part of the world.
    Will Vanderburg
    26th NCT

Harry: You are such a gentleman! Your review and story of working with this sutler is so frank, yet so polite that it should be a model for all of us. I'd never heard of them before, and went to the site after reading this thread. You're absolutely right; their stuff is bargain-basement, costume quality at the very best. But you were straight up and told us what you were looking for was, essentially a costume in a hurry, and they were able to deliver for you. That was so much more enjoyable to read than more run-of-the-mill sutler pans.
    It's too bad that they weren't able to deliver more quickly for the original poster. (But then again, last winter I waited for over 4 months for a uniform from the Ukraine for that other time period I reenact!)
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

That was indeed a good post by Harry. Even I was guilty of offering a critique instead of the answer originally asked for (something I usually can't avoid when I see goods of that type). We are closing this thread at this time but will entertain reopening if the original poster has more to add in the future.
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010