Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fugawee shoes

Default Fugawee shoes

I am not trying to start a product bashing thread, so please let's not go in that direction.

On their web site, Fugawee is having a sale on their in stock brogans until the end of the year. Their price is $79.95 shp inc. and they are throwing in a pair of heel plates and nails.

This is my question, are they a good quality pair of brogans or would I be better off going to another supplier?

Moderator, I am not trying to have any type of product bashing or start any type of negative debate. If you do not feel that this question is appropriate, please delete.
    Richard Schimenti

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Schimenti View Post
    This is my question, are they a good quality pair of brogans or would I be better off going to another supplier?
    Short answer: They are better than most mainstream sutlers.
    However, compared to original pairs they are lacking compared to others and there are better options out there.

What to do??? If you feel like you will want to upgrade later, you might as well save and wait to buy the better pair so you don't have to pay for two pairs.
    Jason K.
    Prodigal Sons Mess
    36th Illinois Co. "B"
    Old Northwest Volunteers

Sir, if I may make a recommendation, in case you decide to wait and save up for a higher quality pair of brogans, I suggest Robert Land. His brogans are of excellent quality and have served me well.
    Brandon T. Benner,
    -151st PVI, Co. D
    -Washington Guards

The Pennsylvania State University
    Undergraduate, Political Science/History

Fugawee is one of those polarizing vendors in the hobby where you'll get either a really favorable review or a horrible view. I've had quite favorable experience with their brogans with the caveat that they are not your most authentic choice for military shoes, but a decent alternative for citizens shoes. They are not by any means comparable to Missouri Boot and Shoe, older Jarnagin, Lammers, Robert Land, or those considered in the upper tier today. They, in my view from having several pairs over the years, are usually pretty comfortable out of the box, are generally thinner so they do wear down quicker, but tend to hold up for most uses in today's hobby, and I consider them a decent value for the dollar. They tend to run on the slim side at the toe, so if you wear a wider shoe, you may want to look elsewhere, but if you're an average foot, you'll get a comfortable shoe for the money. I've had fantastic experiences with their artillery boot, but thats for another thread.....
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

Richard,

I have no experience with Fugawee brogans.
    I have a pair of their pull on Artillery boots that I like very much.
    Just my opinion,

My first pair of brogans were Fugawees. Yes the pattern was not perfect but when starting out, It was what I could afford at the time. They were well made with quality materials.
    I liked that they were an American Company although manufactured in Mexico I believe.
    They offered a pretty solid guarantee on defects, construction issues etc. My only problem with them was that for me they were too narrow. They always hurt my feet.
    My advice is to save your pennies and go with a custom fitted period Boot, shoe or Brogan from Bob Serio at MB&S. I own his Jefferson Booties and his English imports Blucher shoe and I have not had so much as a blister or sore feet after any event I have been to. I have marched quite a ways in both pairs. I love them.
    If you are going to go with a mainstream shoe and cost is prohibitive for you, I would definitely recommend the Fugawees though. I would suggest you try them on though and make sure they work for you. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your thoughs. I agree, spend a few more dollars and in the long run it always pays off.

I am glad that we have so much experience available to get information from.
    Richard Schimenti

I hava pair that I have had for about 10 years now. They fit me like a glove. Almost wore out and when they do go I will be upgrading/ or not I will just have to wait and see when the do go belly up. I rotate them with a pair of boots just depends on what event it is and what I feel is appropriate.
    Cris Westphal
    Civil War Reenactor

What Ross said.
    I wear Fugawee civilian shoes precisly because they ARE narrow- and I still rattle around in them.

My arch is too high for Robert Land shoes.

Yes the sole is thinner. I'm hard on shoes, I think I'm on my third pair. Still happy with them.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

I had a pair of the smooth out brogans quite a few years ago. I loved them. On a long march they were just as comfortable as a modern shoe. Of course this was 10 or so years ago so I can not vouch for the quality now.