Thread: Period Music !

Default Period Music !

All,

For anyone interested, there is a slew of period music, mostly from the Gardner Collection, to be found here;

http://diglib.lib.utk.edu/cgi/b/bib/...=entire+record

Also tons of other interesting CW related tidbits.

Regards,
    Kevin Ellis,
    26thNC

Thank you, Kevin, for posting that. There is more there than someone could adequately go through in an entire lifetime. I actually scanned (quickly) through all of the hundreds of resources, and so many of them (but not all, of course) are of interest to our time period.
    With so much period information and resources available, there is no reason that anyone should ever be subjected to hearing The Devil Went Down to Georgia, Ashokan Farewell, or Golden Slippers at CW events. (Yes, I've heard them all).

Thanks again!

Eric Marten

The link wont open for me

Quote Originally Posted by fifer32nd View Post
    The link wont open for me
    Nor for me, not even truncating it to the main url.

Quote Originally Posted by eric marten
    there is no reason that anyone should ever be subjected to hearing The Devil Went Down to Georgia, Ashokan Farewell, or Golden Slippers at CW events.
    Or the Tennessee Waltz.

Don't get me started on music right now. I've got no talent to perform myself, so I really appreciate those who do and who can therefore bring entertainment to events, but even just listening to music seems a crushing challenge, with the following steps:

1) Recognize the song from all the ones that have been written somewhere between 1800 and 1980.

2) Remember the date it was written, right down to the year if it matters (like realizing it's an 1862 or 1865 song at an 1861 event)

3) Consider any other social context.

4) Respond appropriately ("That's one of my favorites." "I don't recognize that one." "My father used to sing that.")

What's worse, though, is if the performer announces the year of the songs with a thumbnail history of them like a third person interpreter in the midst of what's supposed to be a casual period performance.

But I wish the burden was more often on the performer to look up the year of songs, rather than leave it up to the audience to be scrambling to find their own authenticity level.

It makes me really, really appreciate the good musicians who do do that, so you can just sit back and enjoy as if it were 186x.

Uh, so, um, all that rant was just to say, I'd be really interested in a working link to the collection to learn more about period music.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by hanktrent View Post
    What's worse, though, is if the performer announces the year of the songs with a thumbnail history of them like a third person interpreter in the midst of what's supposed to be a casual period performance.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com
    Actually, when playing music, announcing the composer, where (s)he's from, year of composition, year when first performed and where, etc. have for CENTURIES been Standard Operating Procedure for concerts and performances.

Please, ust omit when the recording was made, edited by whom and at what sound studio, and how long and when it was Top 10 or went Gold.

I liked the beat and we could dance to it D i c k. I give it a 75.
    Last edited by RJSamp; 04-26-2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Doesn't like Richard Clark's nickname....
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

Quote Originally Posted by RJSamp View Post
    Actually, when playing music, announcing the composer, where (s)he's from, year of composition, year when first performed and where, etc. have for CENTURIES been Standard Operating Procedure for concerts and performances.
    Oh, I agree, especially in formal settings. Casual singalongs, probably not so much. But I mean something easily recognizable as anachronistic.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com

Default Hackley Collection

Here’s another good site for period music. With sheet music and an area to click and listen. I’ve been through here before—there is a ton of minstrel show type stuff.

http://www.thehackley.org/

***It is VERY period music: Meaning that the site itself acknowledges that it is a collection of music and not a promotion and not an endorsement of the views or lyrics within the music.
    Sam Lowe
    Sally Port Mess
    Western Rifles

Default Levy Collection

Still one of my most favorite sites......

http://levysheetmusic.mse.jhu.edu/

and don't overlook the 1857 Episcopal Hymnal....(they are for sale on eBay, etc. often!)
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "