Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Regional

Lightbulb Thinking Regional

To All

This is a subject that we have had to deal with in the past. Fuel-----------------noticed the price of late. Diesel in my part of the country is getting close to 3.50. I know folks have said if you want to do something bad enough you'll find a way. If fuel was the only concern that might be true. Food, gunpowder, etc. etc. Want and being able to afford basic things in this country for some is getting tough. I'm lucky, so many in this country right now are not. More are being added to that list each day. They say we have turned the corner. You believe that? Driving a great distance so others can make a profit? I'll have to think long and hard about that one. GAC and the for profit folks, may have to adjust the camera angle. Fewer troops, less money. I know they say it isn't about the numbers, but quality. I may agree with that accessment. But for those folks who count the money I'll bet they have a different view. You say I need a new and different uniform to play-----------Put that expense on those who make the money, not the Average Joe just trying to get there and promote History. Central Casting called yet another uniform to buy? Think not. Money may not be concern for some as long as someone else is spending it. Who knows by the start of the 150 Nationals, cost of living like this hobby may be affordable for the Average Joe. Now my question-who set the bar, and who's turn is it to buy.

Always
    Doug Thomas
    Lyons Kentucky
    Last edited by captdougofky; 01-20-2011 at 03:07 PM.
    Holding on the High ground

Life is about choices. You choose which venues you want to be in, how often, and with what toys, and you go from there. When gas was $4.50-$5.00 per gallon, there were still people at events I attended, but then again, I don't go the Mega-fests. Its up to us individually to keep ourselves in the financial shape necessary to attend. That may be harsh, but I somehow kept finding ways to go to things even when unemployed - had to, it kept my sanity. Attendance is down everywhere for every style of event. It isn't just money keeping people away. The 125th-135th crowd are older by the day and dropping, kids are finding other ways to take up their time, and there are other historical options out there that weren't around the last few years. I've always found that if you want to bad enough, you find a way. If not, you move onto other things. Portraying a campaign infantryman, carpooling with 2 or 3 guys, bringing your own rations, and networking for gear/equipment all seem to help in this day.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

Reenacting is not the total consuming factor in my life. Priorities come first. Wife, family, farm Those get my attention and funds first. Reenacting is a hobby. What I have done this year considerering gas is now over $3.20 a gallon in my area is set a limit. If it's further than 2 hours away I aint going. I have been invited to several events out of state- a couple in Illinois and also to Missouri. But I will give them a pass I would have to take vacation days from work that would amount to a week. so vacation time plus cost of gas and the extra in food taken I'll pass. I have found that there is about 12-18 events within a couple hours drive of my house. And a couple of my pards are of the same inclination, so I guess there will about a 1/2 dozen or more in the unit that won't be doing any traveling either.
    On a personal side, the wife and I are finding we are combining more and more trips. Do I need that thinga majig right now? NOPE, I can wait till I am on my way home from work when I drive by the store that has one. It's just not reenacting, it's my whole life that has been getting a looksee, on when to save, and when to spend. When you hit a certain age, you have to start looking out for the future of your life and not just the instant gratification of right now.
    Cris Westphal
    Civil War Reenactor

Cap'n Doug, have you more words of inspiration and hope for us, downtrodden practitioners of the hobby?
    - Silas Tackitt

"I consider him a humbug, a man of small capacity, very obstinate, not at all chivalrous, exceedingly conceited, and totally selfish." - - Lafayette McLaws about James Longstreet.

Default Twilight Cruise

The big 65 hits this year and I find myself taking a hard look at myself and my impression. Health and size has become a big issue as there were not too many 300 pound sailors or soldiers in that era. At least none who were "captain's of the tops" lol. Hoping to see my way thru the 150 cycle I've hit the diet (23 lbs. off) so far and exercise equipment. Once I decide to go over the side my equipment will hopefully be turned over to some newbe landsman who displays an interest in portraying Union Navy. For now I'll do some distant events and some locals much as i've always done.

Geo. Dailey
    gunnersmate (western waters)
    U S Naval Landing Party (www.usnlp.org)
    Navy Marine Living History Association
    Battery D 1st Michigan Light Artillery

I know the Civil War events I'm looking at are local, within an hour or two of home. I also do other time periods, for which finding quality people at quality sites is a little harder. Sometimes I'm going to have to make choices...
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Quote Originally Posted by navygunner View Post
    The big 65 hits this year and I find myself taking a hard look at myself and my impression. Health and size has become a big issue as there were not too many 300 pound sailors or soldiers in that era. At least none who were "captain's of the tops" lol. Hoping to see my way thru the 150 cycle I've hit the diet (23 lbs. off) so far and exercise equipment.
    Glad to hear it, Geo. We want you around for many years so you can teach us wannabe sailors about the real thing.

One of the advantages of having a special impression is that sometimes I can talk event organizers into paying for me to present at their event. No one knows about the Navy (including the event organizers) so the need is there. Sometimes it even covers expenses.

One of the disadvantages is that, not having a gunboat, I have to haul prodigious amounts of stuff with me for demonstrations and such. Sometimes I envy the infantryman that can bring everything he needs on a motorcycle.

Too bad most events are out of the range of our electric car...
    Bob Dispenza
    US Naval Landing Party (www.usnlp.org)
    Navy and Marine Living History Association
    (www.navyandmarine.org)

"George, you may be thankful that you can go to school instead of having the school houses used as Hospitals…And if you never see me again, remember that my advice was never to throw away three years of the best of youthful life in hunting for men with intent to kill."
    William Clark Allen, Company K, 72nd Indiana Volunteers, December 21, 1862

Smile Silas

Quote Originally Posted by Silas View Post
    Cap'n Doug, have you more words of inspiration and hope for us, downtrodden practitioners of the hobby?
    I hope fuel and this country get on the right track soon. When I went to Gettysburg 145th fuel (Diesel) was 4.89. Pulling a full scale gun and limber from Kentucky was pricey to say the least. Had a great time. When it takes 135 dollars to fill the Cannon hauler up when its at the quarter mark, makes one think. You and I are lucky, so many in this country are not. That's the reason I put it in the whine cellar. Nothing we can do except hope for better times. When they say it isn't about the money it is. What isn't about the money in this country. One only has to buy a 3 dollar cup of coffee at GAC to know that. Any event CPH/Progressive/Mainstream--what ever the standards, should factor cost to the Average Joe in. Numbers have been down and heading down for a few years. Fuel and the cost of daily life will I'm afraid speed up a decline in a great hobby. We all make choices on events. Distance will factor in more than we might care to admit. Anything a event can do to help with the cost, should be looked at. Those that look to make money-Film/GAC/and others may have to lower expectations. Reenactors like this country can only take so much. For too many in this country so much is already there.

Always
    Doug Thomas
    Lyons-Kentucky
    Holding on the High ground

What Ross said. You make your choices: I just bought a new smoothbore, but I also learned to sew last year.

The original cast had to deal with inflation and high prices, too. Think of it as another opportunity for an authentic experience and be grateful you aren't being paid in Confederate dollars.
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer

Quote Originally Posted by captdougofky View Post
    Any event CPH/Progressive/Mainstream--what ever the standards, should factor cost to the Average Joe in.
    The Average Joe isn't hauling a cannon. Unfortunately, you've chosen one of the most expensive impressions.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@gmail.com