Thread: Historic Fort Smith Ground Breaking - St. Joseph, MO - 22 September, 2010

Default Historic Fort Smith Ground Breaking - St. Joseph, MO - 22 September, 2010

I know this is really late, but I saw this in the paper yesterday.

A groundbreaking ceremony is set for 6 p.m. Wednesday for Fort Smith, a dirt embankment created by Union troops for cannon use during the Civil War. Weather permitting, this will be the first meeting on the northwest corner of the fort.The ceremony is the first step in creating a historical/education park on the historic site dedicated to the local enduring legacy of the Civil War.

This Civil War encampment is located overlooking Downtown St. Joseph, above the Pony Express emblem on Interstate 229. To drive to the Fort, for the Wyeth Hill signs taking Poulin Street under I-229 and turn left halfway up the hill onto Bellevue Street for one block (Directions). After the ceremony, or if muddy conditions force cancellation, the Border War Society will retire to Norty's at 1117 Frederick Ave.

To add historic flavor, attendees should feel free to wear period clothes and invite anyone to join who is interested in taking part in this event.
    Last edited by JohnSeever; 09-22-2010 at 12:20 PM.
    Pvt. John Seever
    Muddy River Battalion, Consolidated Battalion, 7th and 30th Missouri Volunteers - Missouri Irish Brigade

Could you enlighten on which paper. It could be on their site. Only interested because 1st Neb Vol Infantry may have been involved and when was the fort built?

Roger Brightwell, 1st Neb