Buyer and sellers use caution
As of late, there have been a few transactions on this (and other sites) that have brought an abundance of attention upon them for poor results, ill will, and general bad feelings. To avoid these maladies as much as possible in the future, the moderators here offer the following suggestions:
1. Don't sell something you don't have physically in your possesion and don't offer to buy something if you don't have money in hand. A good rule of thumb is 7 days - a seller should have payment within 7 calendar days, and the buyer should have his/her goods in hands within 7 days of payment.
2. Know your buyer/seller. Its impossible to personally know everyone on here, but if you don't know the person you're dealing with, ask for references for past transactions or character references.
3. Its impossible to tweak the software to come up with buyer/seller ratings or feedback ratings, but feel free to post your thoughts about the transaction on the thread. Postive feedback is always encouraged, but watch the negatives, as it is the policy of this site to discourage truly negative interactions due to liability reasons.
4. Pay with Paypal or other outside sources that offer buyer protection whenever possible. Paypal has a good track record of offering swift refunds when a sale goes bad, and will work at collecting and/or prosecuting when necessary. If Paypal isn't possible, pay with a Postal or other national money order or cashier's check, and make copies. Never send cash in the mail.
5. Sellers - post accurate information/pictures of your items. Buyers - ask pertinent questions about items if you're not completely sure.
6. Sellers - although not required, its recommended that you ship items insured, and it doesn't hurt to have the ability to track shipment. This protects both parties.
7. Refer to #1: Don't sell something you don't have physically in your possesion and don't offer to buy something if you don't have money in hand. A good rule of thumb is 7 days - a seller should have payment within 7 calendar days, and the buyer should have his/her goods in hands within 7 days of payment
These are suggestions to help create a postive transaction for both parties. One of the best benefits of this forum is the ability to buy and sell goods, and with the rash of bad transactions lately, for us to continue to allow the buy/sell/trade threads, a little due diligence goes a long way.
Last edited by Spinster; 07-27-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales
"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010