Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Wrote Si Klegg?

Default Who Wrote Si Klegg?

OK - who was the author of "Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty?" Project Gutenburg attributes the 6-book novel to John McElroy, newspaperman better known for his memoir "Andersonville." A reprint edition on Amazon, and the googlebooks online edition attribute the book to Wilbur Hinman. Both editions seem to contain the same material, although the chapters are not in the same order. Is there some skullduggery surrounding the publishing history of this fine little novel?
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

Default Si Klegg

Rob, They are actually two different books written by two differnt men. Hinman wrote Si Klegg and His "Pard" in 1889. And McElroy wrote Si Klegg: His Transformation from a Raw Recruit to a Veteran in 1910. There were actuaully charges brought against McElroy by members of the GAR concerning his use of the same main character as can be seen starting on page 202 of Journal Vol. 45, Grand Army of the Republic

http://books.google.com/books?id=i98...d=0CDgQ6AEwAw#

Hope this helps.
    Dave
    Dave Procaccini
    Elisha Dyer Camp 7
    Joel Abbott Camp 21
    RI SUVCW
    RI MOLLUS
    Assistant Currator of Archives
    RI GAR/Civil War Museum
    Battery C RILA

Si: "Shorty, should we suffer manfully or get into some youthful high-jinx?"

Shorty: "Well Si...you aire a good boy but i think we should dodge the picket, git a jug and find a couple of Dutch girls."
    Respects, Scott B. Lesch

My History and Toy Soldier "blog"

http://ilikethethingsilike.blogspot.com/

Helping my employers achieve the American Dream since 1978.

If there's one thing I can't stand seeing, it's Americans fighting Americans.
    ~Dan Aykroyd as Sergeant Frank Tree in 1941

Dutch Gals Tomorrah!

Anybody have the picture of THAT sign?
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Fun book. I was reading it in installments through Camp Chase Gazette (late 80s?) I was on guard duty at an event when two guys pasted by discussion the story. "It was sad when ******* dies." said one. "What!!??" said I.
    Respects, Scott B. Lesch

My History and Toy Soldier "blog"

http://ilikethethingsilike.blogspot.com/

Helping my employers achieve the American Dream since 1978.

If there's one thing I can't stand seeing, it's Americans fighting Americans.
    ~Dan Aykroyd as Sergeant Frank Tree in 1941

Talking

A photo of that sign does exist somewhere yes. As well as photo's of "Not responisble for flux" and "Dutch Gals 25 cents." If only I hadn't lost my mind.....I might find them.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

The 137th NY performed way, way better than the 20th Maine at Gettysburg. They just didn't have a self promoting blow hard of a Col. leading them.
    "I didn't do my homework when I was in school. And, you expect me to do yours for you? Not happening."

Quote Originally Posted by daveproc26 View Post
    Rob, They are actually two different books written by two differnt men. Hinman wrote Si Klegg and His "Pard" in 1889. And McElroy wrote Si Klegg: His Transformation from a Raw Recruit to a Veteran in 1910. There were actuaully charges brought against McElroy by members of the GAR concerning his use of the same main character as can be seen starting on page 202 of Journal Vol. 45, Grand Army of the Republic

http://books.google.com/books?id=i98...d=0CDgQ6AEwAw#

Hope this helps.
    Dave
    So cutting through the hundred year old legalese, it seems that Hinman was the author of several parts of Book I, and McElroy of the balance. McElroy, then, was the author of the rest? I will admit there is little difference in tone between the succeeding volumes and volume I, although the subject matter diverges from general soldiering human interest to more exotic plot lines such as the visit from Si's father and self-appointed spy operations. The greater balance of Volumes II and III would be considered so racist as to be nearly unprintable today. What I find amazing is the lightness of tone McElroy could muster. His Andersonville memoir is one of the most vitriolic of the prison memoirs. I find it surprising that the man who penned that could treat the subject matter so differently in another location. Then again, it's a couple decades later and he's had time to mellow.
    I also detect a hint of Dicken's "Pickwick Papers" in the overall organization of the material. I don't think it's just the newspaper/serialized novel format but a more deliberate modeling. Si is often both the hero and the goat in the individual story arcs, much the way Pickwick is in Dickens writing.
    Rob Weaver
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."

Quote Originally Posted by lincolnsguard View Post
    A photo of that sign does exist somewhere yes. As well as photo's of "Not responisble for flux" and "Dutch Gals 25 cents." If only I hadn't lost my mind.....I might find them.
    Thank you Eli.

Images received.

I got a note the other day, from a man who was in receipt of a box of worn things, sent by a kind and generous woman. And when he opened the box and put on the clothes, he heard a voice, laughing.....

I hear a voice...........
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Last year I managed to spot a second edition, 1910 copy of Book 4, "Si Klegg: Experiences of Si and Shorty on the Great Tullahoma Campaign". It ends just after Chickamauga. Twelve bucks....not a bad deal.

As I recall, the original by Hinman carried Si from war's beginning to its end. The McElroy series is in stages, fleshing out the experiences of Si and Shorty along the way. As noted, the writing styles are quite similar from each author.
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B

LOL - I just read book IV yesterday. That stuff about rain and insects will stay with you a long while. There are a wealth of very plausible scenarios in this book that would work if you needed set-piece "skits."
    Rob Weaver