Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A woman's place...

Default A woman's place...

PG 16-17
    It must be apparent to all, that the plow, the fiery courser, the shrill war-bugle, the sword and the battle-axe were not made for woman. The clang of arms, as might contends against might, hewing down thousands upon the bloody field, the roaring cannon, thundering forth its iron shower of death, hurling to their last sleep the bravest hearts that ever struggled for human liberty, are scenes ill suited to the tender nature of woman. Or, would she be a mariner, grappling with the angry storm on the surging bosom of the briny deep, where white-capped mountain waves leap from their ocean-bed and dance among the clouds, mocking the vivid lightening which gleams about their heads and chanting, with the pealing thunder that rolls across their dark blue bosoms, the awful chorus of the storm?
    To soothe the cares of man, and throw around the domestic circle a blessed halo of peace and purity; to refine the coarser feelings of man; to sweeten the cup of affliction, trembling lip of distress; to pour “the oil of consolation” into the wounds of the troubled spirit, and mould the infant mind for patriotism, piety and heaven, is her proper sphere and should be her highest ambition. To say that this is not nobility would be a perversion of language, as well of fact and common sense.

THOUGHTS ON DOMESTIC LIFE OR MARRIAGE VINDICATED AND FREE LOVE EXPOSED.
    BY NELSON SIZER
    NEW YORK 1858

Elizabeth
    Elizabeth Topping
    Columbus, Ohio
    "Good women are rarely clever and clever women are rarely good." Adah Issacs Menken

Quote Originally Posted by bizzilizzit
    PG 16-17
    It must be apparent to all, that the plow, the fiery courser, the shrill war-bugle, the sword and the battle-axe were not made for woman. The clang of arms, as might contends against might, hewing down thousands upon the bloody field, the roaring cannon, thundering forth its iron shower of death, hurling to their last sleep the bravest hearts that ever struggled for human liberty, are scenes ill suited to the tender nature of woman. Or, would she be a mariner, grappling with the angry storm on the surging bosom of the briny deep, where white-capped mountain waves leap from their ocean-bed and dance among the clouds, mocking the vivid lightening which gleams about their heads and chanting, with the pealing thunder that rolls across their dark blue bosoms, the awful chorus of the storm?
    To soothe the cares of man, and throw around the domestic circle a blessed halo of peace and purity; to refine the coarser feelings of man; to sweeten the cup of affliction, trembling lip of distress; to pour “the oil of consolation” into the wounds of the troubled spirit, and mould the infant mind for patriotism, piety and heaven, is her proper sphere and should be her highest ambition. To say that this is not nobility would be a perversion of language, as well of fact and common sense.

THOUGHTS ON DOMESTIC LIFE OR MARRIAGE VINDICATED AND FREE LOVE EXPOSED.
    BY NELSON SIZER
    NEW YORK 1858

Elizabeth
    "Woman of the house, where's me tea"

Sean Thorton to Mary Kate Danaher in "The Quiet Man".

"I'll was your clothes, cook for you, mend your clothes, mind the land and the sheep but until I have my dowry that's all your getting"

Mary Kate Danaher to Sean Thorton in 'The Quiet Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Graham
    "Woman of the house, where's me tea"

Sean Thorton to Mary Kate Danaher in "The Quiet Man".

"I'll was your clothes, cook for you, mend your clothes, mind the land and the sheep but until I have my dowry that's all your getting"

Mary Kate Danaher to Sean Thorton in 'The Quiet Man"
    I LOVE that movie - esp. the part where he drags her across town. And the part where he tosses her on the bed during their wedding night fight and it breaks and the next morn' the matchmaker thinks they was makin' babies.
    Elizabeth
    Elizabeth Topping
    Columbus, Ohio
    "Good women are rarely clever and clever women are rarely good." Adah Issacs Menken

I LOVE that movie - esp. the part where he drags her across town. And the part where he tosses her on the bed during their wedding night fight and it breaks and the next morn' the matchmaker thinks they was makin' babies.
    Elizabeth
    I just now canceled my website that had all the "Quiet Man" country photos on it. Hope You got to see them. It seems that since joining this site I have had all kinds of junk and emails with viruses attached. So my home page no longer exist.

I just now canceled my website that had all the "Quiet Man" country photos on it. Hope You got to see them. It seems that since joining this site I have had all kinds of junk and emails with viruses attached. So my home page no longer exist.
    I just checked and it's still up. It will probably stay up until this last payment has expired so if you have not seen the page "Walking with the Duke" do it before it's gone.

I just checked and it's still up. It will probably stay up until this last payment has expired so if you have not seen the page "Walking with the Duke" do it before it's gone.
    I HAVE seen it - twice!
    Thanks.
    Elizabeth
    Elizabeth Topping
    Columbus, Ohio

I HAVE seen it - twice!
    Thanks.
    Elizabeth
    You may copy and paste any photos you would like to have.

Woman at railway station: "Sir! Sir! Here's a good stick, to beat the lovely lady."
    Thornton: (hefting stick) "Thanks."

from The Quiet Man
    Yours, &c.,

Guy N. 'Frenchie' LaFrance
    National Congress of Old West Shootists, Grand Army of the Frontier
    Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie
    Woman at railway station: "Sir! Sir! Here's a good stick, to beat the lovely lady."
    Thornton: (hefting stick) "Thanks."

from The Quiet Man
    Bonnet! Bonnet! don't you even mentio......here here now! dontcha be a hittin him until your married and him you....

Michaleen Og Flynn, the Matchmaker and chaparon

... FREE LOVE EXPOSED.
    BY NELSON SIZER
    NEW YORK 1858
    Well, I don't know anything about the movie being quoted, but I'm more curious about the movement that apparently spurred the original author to write.

I know that the free love movement had been in the U.S. for at least a decade by then, but does anyone have some basic information to put Sizer's purpose for writing in context? Was the movement itself waxing or waning by the late 1850s? Were outspoken opponents like Sizer common or uncommon, or increasing or decreasing? Were the anti-free-lovers generally paranoid and angry, like the anti-Mormon and anti-Masonic and anti-foreigner (Know Nothing) folks, or more concerned and caring, like the anti-tight-lacing and anti-doctor (hygienic) folks?

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@voyager.net