Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe This is the Uptick?

Default Maybe This is the Uptick?

You know, I have just been noticing a lack of repro muskets for sale,
    both on the Internet Forums and Gunbroker.com. There was also
    quite a bit of interest in the Bentonville event, judging from the chatter.
    Will be interested to read the AARs on it and get some idea of numbers.

Do you think maybe we are seeing the start of the long anticipated
    uptick in interest with the 150th just around the corner?
    Craig L Barry

Author: The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy

Wink

I think it's just folks can't get what they want, $wise, out of their unused weapons because of the economy. Better to hold on to them then lose your a--.
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

We welcome any and all new members and visitors, come see us:

http://thecommonground.proboards.com/

Default +1

Quote Originally Posted by lincolnsguard View Post
    I think it's just folks can't get what they want, $wise, out of their unused weapons because of the economy. Better to hold on to them then lose your a--.
    I have to agree, I did sell two muskets in 2009 but they were ones somebody saw me using and wanted. Mostly just got back the money I spent on parts and all my labor/time was lost. We all hope the 150th will spark a return, but I also see alot more "Civilian Only/Civilian Heavy" events. Are these events for Older re-enactors that do not want to do the "Military" stuff anymore, are just a differant direction in Re-enacting?
    "In the heat of battle it ceases to be an idea for which we fight... or a flag. Rather... we fight for the man on our left and we fight for the man on our right... and when armies have scattered and when the empires fall away... all that remains is the memory
    of those precious moments... we spent side by side."

Paul Bennett

One would hope the surge in civilian heavy/civilian gear events is an acknowlegement of the history: that the majority of the citizens in the country were not in the army--that life, commerce, and manufacturing went on, that men were civilians before the war and would be after the war----and that many were DURING the war.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger_rifles View Post
    ...but I also see alot more "Civilian Only/Civilian Heavy" events. Are these events for Older re-enactors that do not want to do the "Military" stuff anymore, are just a differant direction in Re-enacting?
    Civilian history heavy events are a natural outgrowth of the "upper" end of the hobby. They are challenging in their own, unique way. By no means are they simply due to the aging of the hobby, but a different way of looking at the period and expanding the experience.

Back Button Girl is a pre/early teen who knows more about animals and civilian life than I do. I'd want her by my side in a knife fight.

The Mrs.'s Lawson and Simpson, on the other hand, I would want out in front of me.....
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B

Default I don't know

form my small section of trench on Saturday at Bentonville there seemed to be an awful lotta rebs out there.

And a HUGE number of spectators. They were lining up at the entrance a good hour and a half before they opened the gates on Saturday.

Heck in us boys in blue had people cheering us as we left the field.
    Bob Sandusky
    Co C 125th NYSVI
    Esperance, NY

"Out beyond the ideas of wrong doing and right doing there is a field. I'll meet you there." -
    Mawlana Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Balkhi

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, someone screwed up." - A new variation of Murphy's Law based on current Military experience in Iraq:

“In war the first principle is to disobey orders. Any fool can obey orders!” - First Sea Lord Admiral Sir “Jackie” Fisher

Back from the dead!!! OK -think of this thread as "The Walking Dead: Civil War Edition." And pat me on the back - I actually used the search function I make fun of so often rather than start a new thread. (Of course I had to search through 11 pages of threads, but that's another topic.) So, my reason for this. Craig: You started this thread with the musing that this might be the beginning of the renewal of interest in Civil War reenacting 3 1/2 years ago. Last week in another thread, you and I both agreed that there has been on revival, and the hobby is evolving into something different. Why didn't the 150th cycle raise interest levels? It's more than "the economy, stupid." I think it's more complicated than that. Changing ideas about recreation, mainstreaming of reenacting, niche-marketing of reenacting, changing views on the Civil War, aging of the baby-boomer segment of the population. I see all of these as participating in the status quo. What do you all see?
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty

I'll give you my take on the "after Gettysburg". Our sister unit the 17th S.C. is going to be deepsixed. Not troops to justify it's existance, and we can't get any interest from the young folk. I think some of the problems are- the unit is filled with "old" folk, they join up for a weekend and -it's boring, too regimented all that marching and drilling, sitting around doing nothing that interests them, when we do have free time. Playing checkers, and chess is old peoples games. We can't use our cell phones, to call or texed. No individuality in clothing we all dress the same. But heres the kicker the other unit we portray has more interest by folk. Vanzoots Missouri Guerrilla Command- previously the 11th Missouri. We are more free wheeling, we are not locked into one type of weapon, our uniforms are more or less not uniform(more individuality). we don't fight the regular way,- but can as needed. The history of Missouri in the civil war is more colorful, and not the sameo-sameo battles. The fighters/leaders are more attention grabbing(also it's not all about the generals). It peask the interest of the youngsters more, with the black flags, Quantrillraiders, Mosby's raiders, GH Morgan.
    Cris Westphal
    Civil War Reenactor

What do you all see?
    Well, from an outsider's perspective, I saw very little public advertising of 150th anniversary events. I heard about them because I monitor the online community. But I remember being astonished/amazed/interested whenever I saw a billboard or magazine article about 150th activities.

It seems like there was little public advertisement about Civil War historical 150th anniversary events.

I wonder if the War is now well and truly out of living memory. In the 1960's, at the 100-year anniversary, there were plenty of people who actually knew veterans of the Civil War. In fact, there were a (very) few survivors still.

Today there is no longer any living memory of the era. No one knows anyone involved in those times.

Steve
    Steve Sheldon

@Poor Private: I could see that appealing to the younger guys. Kind of like the live and authentic version of "Red Dead Revolver."
    @Maillmaker: Your observation about publicity is interesting. I think I file that under the "mainstreaming of Civil War reenacting;" people have seen what happens, and they know the drill.
    The way that we've commemorated the Civil War this time around has been very different than 25 years ago. There has been more of an emphasis on divergent perspectives, and on the tremendous cost involved. Of course, 25 years ago, we were riding high on the end of the Cold War, rather than exhaustedly slogging out the end of 2 long and expensive occupations. Seems somewhat tacky to romaniticze one war while fighting real ones.
    There never was a break in the visibility of Civil War reenacting after the 25th cycle. Then came the 130th, "Gettysburg" the megaevents of the 90s-2000 decade. I really wonder if people simply aren't tired. Is this what old rock bands feel when they play the county fair circuit?
    Rob Weaver
    Pine River Boys, Co I, 7th Wisconsin
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    -Si Klegg and His Pard Shorty