Thread: Blankets? Where'd they go?

Default Blankets? Where'd they go?

I'm in the process of updating a sutler list for a multitude of time periods and just ran right into the wall when trying to nail down sources for decent quality, reasonably accurate blankets. Good grief! What happened to all the blanket makers that were out there? Who's still producing historically accurate blankets for any time period from French & Indian right up to WWII? I'd really appreciate the help. Your suggestions and recommendations are welcomed.
    Respectfully,
    Bob Werner
    Freedom Guards Living History Co.
    U.S. Marine Corps Historical Company
    Marine Guard, USS Constellation

Since this site is for Civil War discussions, or the events leading up to it, I can only give you the info regarding such. If you do a search for blankets on this site, you'll find several conversations about them, a couple in just the last few days. Here's a starter for you in terms of quality vendors for you:
    Federal Blankets - NJ Sekela, C & D Jarnagin, EJ Thomas Mercantile, Waterside Woolens
    CS and citizens Blankets - Wambaugh White & Co, South Union Mills, Waterside Woolens, NJ Sekela (coverlets)

As a said, this is just a starter, there are quite a few more out there.
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    Tampa Bay History Center
    www.tampabayhistorycenter.org
    On Facebook at: Tampa Bay History Center Living History Programs

"The simplest things, done well, can carry a huge impact" - Karin Timour, 2012

Default Rob Stone

If you are looking for something 18th -early 19th cen, i'd check out Rob Stone. His blankets are excellent, not cheap, but excellent.
    Garrett Silliman
    Black Republicans

Historically accurate, custom work, civilian use, in documented patterns, and traditional manufacturing methods:

http://www.wildeweavery.com/home.htm

No prices--yeah, there's a reason for that. Priceing based on weight and size. Each one a custom documented job.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Default Wilde Weavery

Just to let you know... CJ and Ed are retiring from manufacturing these blankets. They are really good qualityfor any time period form the F&I to post Civil War... Really cool for Confederate and citizen impressions. Wilde will no longer be taking orders and no longer making, just selling through their existing inventory, and then they are done... Sadly another quality source gone... Zack Ziarnek aka T.E.H.

I've bought blankets from just about everyone who makes them, but I'd have to agree with Mr. Silliman, buy a Rob Stone blanket. Yes, they cost a bit more, but are fantastic, long wearing, and fireproof! Just ask my son who took my blanket and rolled into the firepit four times while asleep. The blanket was singed, but my son was just fine. Seriously though, Rob Stone's blankets are the BEST. Ten years of daily use, and my blanket still looks wonderful.
    Mfr,
    Judith Peebles
    Books! - The Original Search Engine.
    Remember life is short so read fast.

How are those 4 beaver Hudson Bay Company blankets.....take off the modern 'tag' of course...... haven't cozied up to one since my Wisconsin child hood so don't remember all of the details on how to the period the modern ones would be......(they were kind of a status symbol in the far north, along with lice sweaters, big toque's, SkiDoos, and a Jofa Sandstrom hockey stick....)..
    but they were used plenty during the ACW.
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

Default Hudson Bay Blanket

For an extraordinary wool blanket which will actually keep you warm in the worst weather, Hudson Bay Company point blankets are one of the best. First sold/traded in this continent in 1780. HBC has sold quality blankets since 1668.

"Hudson's Bay Company point blankets are made in England by John Atkinson & Sons, a division of A. W. Hainsworth & Sons Ltd.: www.hainsworth.co.uk/ ."

"Woolrich, Inc. holds the exclusive licence for HBC blankets in the U.S., i.e. they are the only company allowed to import them. They are available from Woolrich: http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/ , L.L. Bean http://www.llbean.com/ and Getz Department Store http://www.getzs.com/customer/home.php . All these companies offer the blankets for sale on their websites."
    Edwin Carl Erwin

"Danny, let us seek safety in battle."
    Peachy Carnehan,
    from John Huston's film of Rudyard Kipling's story The Man Who Would Be King.

Default Blankets? Where'd they go?

Thanks all for the info. I do very much appreciate your suggestions. I was surprised to find a good number of the sources I had previously relied on for good quality, historically accurate blankets to suddenly be MIA, out of business or out of production.

Does anyone have contact info for Rob Stone? I've searched on line but didn't find anything. If you'd share it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, again.
    Respectfully,
    Bob Werner
    Freedom Guards Living History Co.
    U.S. Marine Corps Historical Company
    Marine Guard, USS Constellation