Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 150th Maryland Campaign

Default 150th Maryland Campaign

On September 6th-8th, 2012, the Southern Division will be hosting " Maryland, my Maryland", the 150th Anniversary Reenactments of the Battles of South Mountain and Antietam.

The event will be held about 1 mile from Fox's Gap, and privately owned property, and is sponsored by the Washington County Visitors Bureau, Central Maryland Heritage League, Britney's Hope Foundation and in coordination with the 150th Maryland Campaign Committee.

The event will be like those in the past I have organized, from Fire on the Mountain, 2000, To the Gates of Washington, Summer of '62, September Storm, At High Tide and Return to Manassas, with correct force ratios, unit specific impressions and actions and the dedication to portraying September, 1862, with the utmost authenticity, honor and respect.

Shortly the event website will be up, and registration opens in November.

Mike Lavis will be leading the Federal Forces, and I will be heading the States Rights Force, with Todd Harrington the Sutler Coordinator.

This is an all volunteer effort, with all proceeds going to CMHL, for their efforts in preserving South Mountain, and Britney's Hope to continue their work assisting with the adoption of special needs children.

More information will be available shortly, but I wanted to get this out so folks can put it on their calendars.

There will also shortly be an official press release from Washington County, Maryland, and the 150th Maryland Campaign Committee.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Pards,
    S. Chris Anders
    Southern Division
    www.southerndivision.org
    http://www.civilwarhenrico.com/

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. - Niccoló Machiavelli, The Prince. 1537.

Default 150th South Mountain/Antietam

To anyone who missed out on Return to Manassas - don't miss this one!

I have marked the dates on my calendar and will begin preparing for an early war impression - just not sure which one (Federal or Confederate) because the choices are win-win

Oh the possibilities for scenarios! - Fox and Crampton Gaps, The Cornfield, West Woods, Sunken Lane...etc.
    John Sivak
    150th Shiloh, 15th Iowa, Co. F
    Maryland, My Maryland, CVG, Co.A
    Murray's Brigade, 6th Wisconsin

"Between drills, we drill, and sometimes stop to eat a little and have a roll-call" Oliver Norton, Army Letters 1861-1865

Default 150th South Mountain/Antietam

The 2nd Delaware got its nick name "Crazy Delawares" after pushing through at the bloody lane and refusing to retreat after the order was given. Would love to have this aspect reenacted for my unit.

THEIR reckless bravery at the battle of Antietam gained the 2nd Delaware Regiment the sobriquet, “The Crazy Delawares”. The men of the New York regiments, with which they were brigaded, christened the 2nd Delaware thus. Some have been so unkind as to say there were other reasons for this nickname for this highly unusual regiment. Regardless of the reason, by Jan. 13, 1863, the New York Times reported that all veterans of the Army of the Potomac knew it by that name.
    At Antietam the 2nd Delaware was part of Brooke’s Brigade of Richardson’s division of Sumter’s corps. When Richardson charged the Confederate positions on the Sunken Road, it was one of the Union regiments that broke the Rebel front and advanced to the Piper house.
    There it changed front and with the 52nd New York flanked the Confederates until only Miller’s Battery of the Washington Artillery of New Orleans, defended by about 150 infantry, stood between them. The 2nd Delaware, with a roaring cheer, prepared to charge this last force that could keep Lee’s army from being cut in two. Then, as they started to take off, Adjutant Charles P. Hatch appeared on the field with orders for them to retire. They objected strenuously, but Hatch said Richardson, the divisional commander, had been killed and the withdrawal orders came directly from McClellan. So with a victory in their grasp the men retreated slowly, taking with them the colors of the 16th Mississippi which they had captured in their dash on the Piper house.

P.S. Loved "September Storm", "High Tide" and "Return to Manassas" great work Chris!

Thanks

Bill Purdy
    1st Sergeant Bill Purdy
    2nd Regiment Delaware Volunteers
    "Crazy Delawares" (Battle of Antietam)
    www.2nddelaware.com

Default The best laid plans...

All,

After a few quick discussions with fellow reenactors and the county, I have moved the date for Maryland my Maryland (M3) to the previous weekend.

This is to allow the NPS to have maximum participation at thier living history planned, and allow reenactors to camp on the event site till thursday morning to allow them to participate in both great events.

Moderator, please change the event date to September 6-8, 2012.

Thank you.

Pards,
    S. Chris Anders
    Southern Division
    www.southerndivision.org

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things. - Niccoló Machiavelli, The Prince. 1537.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    All,

After a few quick discussions with fellow reenactors and the county, I have moved the date for Maryland my Maryland (M3) to the previous weekend.

This is to allow the NPS to have maximum participation at thier living history planned, and allow reenactors to camp on the event site till thursday morning to allow them to participate in both great events.

Thank you.

Pards,
    It is so changed...
    Ross Lamoreaux
    Moderator and Sewer of Historical Clothing and Tall Tales

"But our opportunity to learn and grow, to communicate the richness of the lives that have gone before us, that does not change. We do not outgrow it. It does not tatter and fall apart in our hands..." -Mrs. Terre Lawson, 2010

I have heard nothing but great things from friends regarding "At High Tide" and "Return to Manassas". I will definately be putting this one on my calendar and hope I can make it up there for this. If you need Hardtack for ration issue Keep me in mind. I would be willing to donate a portion of the proceeds to Britneys Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders View Post
    All,

Thank you.

Pards,
    See you there Chris (and hopefully before) !
    RJ Samp
    Horniste! Blas das Signal zum Angriffe!
    "But in the end, it's the history, stupid. If you can't document it, forget about it. And no amount of 'tomfoolery' can explain away conduct that in the end makes history (and living historians) look stupid and wrong. "

Quote Originally Posted by 97th private View Post
    I have heard nothing but great things from friends regarding "At High Tide" and "Return to Manassas". I will definately be putting this one on my calendar and hope I can make it up there for this. If you need Hardtack for ration issue Keep me in mind. I would be willing to donate a portion of the proceeds to Britneys Hope.
    Don't forget September Storm either!
    Bob Martin
    Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
    Company A "Chesapeake Rifles"

So this event will run Thursday-Saturday?
    Brandon English
    Farb

nope- 7-9- friday through sunday. There MIGHT be a chance for those on site friday morn to travel by bus to Frederick to stage a re do of the Rosenstock photo.....
    S. Chris Anders
    Southern Division
    www.southerndivision.org