Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Storage and transport of Muskets

I like the Cabelas case and while I agree that the wooden one seems a bit overpriced it is still nice. I think the airline would probably let you travel with that one as well but it might be a bit heavy. Not all of us can just drive to events so it's nice to see the options out there.
    Respectfully,
    Adam L.

3rd Maryland Vol. Inf., Co. I

If you have nothing to say, say nothing.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by WILD WES View Post
    I know it looks farby to have a rifle as new looking as mine, but I will make an exception because I love my rifle.
    Ah, but there's a school of thought that says a bright musket is never, ever farby. Quite the opposite, a clean weapon has always been the mark of a good soldier, as Augustus Meyers tells us in "Ten Years in the Ranks, U. S. Army":

"The neatness of the uniforms, the polished buttons and the bright looking arms of the regular soldiers was often a matter of interest to the volunteer officers. One day while on guard an elderly captain, who unquestionably hailed from one of the New England states, said to me, 'Where be you men from? I see you all got brand new guns!' I explained to him that we were regular soldiers and had used these guns on the frontiers for years. He exclaimed, 'Dew tell ! Our boys got new guns but they're all rusty. What do you clean yours with?'"

Eventually the volunteers came around to the same standards, as W. S. Lincoln relates in "Life With the Thirty-Fourth Massachusetts Infantry in the War of the Rebellion":

[November 1, 1863] "Visitors from Massachusetts were with us. 'Why Col.,' said one, Mr. W. T. D., of Greenfield, 'your arms are in most splendid condition, and look, to me, as well as if just from the armory!' It was intended as a compliment, but it was mortifying beyond measure; and we sent the Quartermaster for some which had never been issued, that he might see the contrast — about what there is between a most highly polished piece of cutlery, and a well finished shovel."

So carry your new looking rifle-musket with pride.
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer

Quote Originally Posted by Ofcalipka View Post
    I like the Cabelas case and while I agree that the wooden one seems a bit overpriced it is still nice. I think the airline would probably let you travel with that one as well but it might be a bit heavy. Not all of us can just drive to events so it's nice to see the options out there.
    And, if you really like the wooden ones, contact those folks and inquire more--I note a glitch in their website that shows two radically different prices for the cases, depending on which button you click.

The esthetics of how we deal with these period items is always a challenge. I own both a fine high dollar professional sewing machine and a period hand crank machine that cost me nearly as much. I'm really careful with the period machine because the needles are extremely difficult to get, but there are some fabrics and garments that I simply MUST make on the period machine--not because the stitch is any different, but because it offends my sensibilites to sew on the modern machine, and for the period experience. Same thing with my weaving looms. Some things I make on the mid-20th century Macomber, and some things I make on the 1810 rocker beater loom. The latter is a heck of a lot more work, but I just like it for period applications.

As we see more folks flying to events, especially in the immersion end of the hobby, there is a need for secure weapons transport. Event coordinators do attempt to aid folks in making arrangements for loaner weapons and rounds, or for roles that do not require a weapon, but the need is still there for transport cases that are pre-certified to pass airport requirements.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Considering the present cost to bring a second item as checked baggage these days - or dare I say the first item - shipping becomes a convenient alternative. You cannot check rounds onto the airplane, but you can ship them by ground freight inside your musket box. Since I'm shipping, I usually throw a few other items into the box to minimize what I take on the plane.

You don't need an address to ship your box. UPS can hold it for five business days if you advise them that you are doing such. Ship it by UPS ground to one of their customer service centers about a week and a half before the event, and you're golden. You can return to the same or a different customer service center after the event and ship it back. Just remember to throw some extra tape into the originally shipped box so you have tape to reseal the box for the return trip home.

I've been shipping muskets and rounds like this for years. You don't need a box from cabella to ship. I use two layers of old fashioned cardboard and lots of tape. I wrap my musket inside my groundcloth, blanket and canvas then shove a bunch of newpaper into areas which need reinforcement.
    - Silas Tackitt

"I consider him a humbug, a man of small capacity, very obstinate, not at all chivalrous, exceedingly conceited, and totally selfish." - - Lafayette McLaws about James Longstreet.

Silas,

I'm curious. How much does this usually cost? My airline of choice does not charge for baggage, and I pack a similar load--two blankets, flat tick, painted cloth, wrapped around spinning wheel and stool, padded with feather cushions in a rolling duffel with a little extra junk thrown in. Still, it's really cumbersome for me to manage in an airport, especially since I'm usually encumbered by a voluminous dress and several petticoats.
    Mrs. Lawson

When I'm shipping a musket, it's usually in the thirty to low forty dollar range. Distance to travel and weight of the box are factors in the price quoted. Events are 1500 to 3000 miles from my house. A musket with bayonet is about ten pounds. You're not going as far as I, and you're not shipping a musket. You're more likely to be in the twenties to low thirties.
    - Silas Tackitt

"I consider him a humbug, a man of small capacity, very obstinate, not at all chivalrous, exceedingly conceited, and totally selfish." - - Lafayette McLaws about James Longstreet.

Default Gotto go with Pvt Schnapps

on this one.

I just keep all three of mine in a closet in the bedroom standing up on there butt in a canvas musket sack.

Never had any storage problems with it.

I don't have kids so having someone fool with them is not an issue and the ammo (yes lead balls) are kept in a locked ammo box high up in the garage so their is no chamce of any accidents.
    Bob Sandusky
    Co C 125th NYSVI
    Esperance, NY

"Out beyond the ideas of wrong doing and right doing there is a field. I'll meet you there." -
    Mawlana Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Balkhi

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, someone screwed up." - A new variation of Murphy's Law based on current Military experience in Iraq:

“In war the first principle is to disobey orders. Any fool can obey orders!” - First Sea Lord Admiral Sir “Jackie” Fisher

Silas,

By rounds I am assuming you are either shippng paper tubes or lead ball only or is there a way to ship black powder. I was under the assumption that shipping black powder via mail was prohibited. Or should I remain quiet and not be drawing any attention to your activities?
    Respectfully,
    Adam L.

3rd Maryland Vol. Inf., Co. I

If you have nothing to say, say nothing.
    - Mark Twain

Silas is using United Parcel Service Ground Shipment, so that's not a factor.
    Mrs. Lawson

Default Storing in a closet

This brings up another item on this thread. What is your total cost of your weapons be they civil war type, modern or any other period. If some of you don't know there can be insurance complications. My insurance company states that if you have "guns" totaling over $2500 a rider is prefered to cover cost of loss due to theft, fire or water damage from fighting a fire- they will only cover up to that $2500 dollar limit. Standing them in corner may be a no-no with your insurance company. Also there may be other issuses not having a gun in a storage cabinet or not having approved trigger locks involving your local or state laws. Also transportation to and from events if your stopped by a law inforcement officer you may be in deep do-do in not having them in a secured environment, or no trigger locks. Michigan requires trigger locks- You can't even buy a gun of any type without a trigger lock coming with it from any gun shop, this even includes pellet guns.
    Your best bet would be to download your local and state laws (or any state your traveling to) concerning how to transport and where you can transport them in your vehicle. State and local laws always supercede federal laws. I have seen handguns transported to an event when our state clearly states that all handguns must be unloaded and transported in a locked container, and in the truck of your car or as far away from the driver as possible if no trunk available--a holster don't make it. When I carry a handgun to an event it is locked up and unloaded and not left in the car, at any time throughout the event.
    Cris Westphal
    Civil War Reenactor