Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Creek

Default Cedar Creek

Dear List,

I have serched this and two other boards and (I might be opening a huge can of worms here) but I haven't read much "talk" about the upcoming Cedar Creek event.

Is there a reason?

I quickly calculated about 2,500 participants who have registered making this a larger than average event so I am curious why there isn't much dialogue about it.

I have been out of the hobby for a year. My career, CEO of a Red Cross, has really been tough as the economy has increased the demand for our services and decreased significantly our fund raising efforts and I spent a long time in Houston and Galveston this time last year and got out of the cycle of fun.

I would like to attend Cedar Creek as a unit I am affiliated with (Mainstream) is going but if I get to go I want to do it the C/P/H fashion with my nephew. We have been gravitating that way as it is plain ridiculas to haul more gear for two days than I do backpacking for a week.

Any thoughts on the silence?

Yerby Ray
    R. Yerby Ray

Pvt

13th NCT Co. B
    136th NYVI (when needed)
    Spike Head Mess
    Newton, NC

I would wager that since Cedar Creek is an annual event that has been around a long time and everyone knows what will happen as in the past..no need to hype it up. Those who go and want to go will, those who do not like Cedar Creek for whatever reason will not be going.
    Marc Riddell
    1st Minnesota Co D
    2nd USSS
    Potomac Legion

Cool

Lotsa' folks go just to see their buds one more time before the re'nacting season shuts down for the winter. Cedar Creek and RE'membrance Day are sorta' the same in that way. Well, in a lot of other ways too. Got stolen flags?
    Eli Heagy
    187th PV

The 137th NY performed way, way better than the 20th Maine at Gettysburg. They just didn't have a self promoting blow hard of a Col. leading them.
    "I didn't do my homework when I was in school. And, you expect me to do yours for you? Not happening."

Default Check Civil War News

Front page story on Cedar Creek in the October issue of Civil War News. Not everything going on in the world of (re)enacting is covered by the Internet forums. There are keyboard campaigners here who do not do events at all. To your point, it is a 145th anniversary event. There are 4,000+ registered already. They expect 6,000, in which case there will be limited walk-ons permitted. They are going back to old scenario(s) where Saturday is the CS over running the Union camps, and Sunday is the Union pushback.
    Craig L Barry

Author: The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy

Not much mud to sling about Cedar Creek, so it goes off the radar until a land deal cotroversy or two rears up. We all hope for good weather and a good fight as well as being on the field with our pards.

Andy Siganuk, 12th NJ, Co. K, Mifflin Guard

"No, more than someone trying to put two different hobbies together, like trying to mate pigs and chickens."

Yeah, but you'd have one-stop shopping for bacon and eggs.
    Ron Myzie
    "God gave us two ends - one to sit on and one to think with. Success depends on which one you use. Heads you win, tails you lose."

Most gents I've heard from say that Cedar Creek is fairly good to do as you suggest.. go with your mainstream group and Carpe Eventum for yourself and Nephew...
    -Elaine Kessinger

Wink Third Weekend in October

See-da-freak is See-da-freak... lots of skinners to buy some item to bring you up to speed.
    Otherwise, a Same-O same-O mismanaged mainstream event.
    I'll be there but as a 'tater (it's cheaper).

D Harrelson

Yerby --

If you haven't been to Cedar Creek, you won't regret it -- for the scenery, if nothing else. Early morning in the Valley is something very special, when there are hundreds of tents laid out in front of you.

And whatever judgments some may make about it, it is way ahead of some other events, though for some reason, almost every year, something ridiculous happens to the so-called scenario script, usually because some clever battalion commander decides to rewrite it on the fly.

And like most big events, if you go, you will see what you want to see, and hopefully ignore things you don't want to see. Plus, if you are worried about global warming, Friday and Saturday nights (if you have nothing but a blanket on top and a gum blanket beneath you) might reassure you about that, too!

B.C. Milligan
    Company K, First Penna. Reserves

Default Thanks for the input from Everyone

We are going to attend and make a lot of fun and good times.
    R. Yerby Ray

Pvt

13th NCT Co. B
    136th NYVI (when needed)
    Spike Head Mess
    Newton, NC