Thread: 150th Cycle of Civil War Events, Restarted Once More

Default 150th Cycle of Civil War Events, Restarted Once More

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: CONTACT: Laurel Scott 150thcycle@gmail.com

WINCHESTER, Va. – Twenty-nine interested parties gathered Aug. 23 for a second discussion on the proposed 150th Cycle of Civil War events.

The meeting was a follow-up to a March 21 conference coordinated by S. Chris Anders of the Chesapeake Volunteer Guard and attended by hobby leaders representing over 1,700 troops from New England to Ohio to North Carolina. "Each meeting sees the group growing as more organizations step up to the plate and take ownership of their hobby,” Anders said. “The group is quite diverse, but dedicated to make the 150th Cycle the best yet. I look forward to great things."

Topics broached at the August meeting included the updating/revision of the Common Sense Resolution, existing events on the Civil War sesquicentennial schedule, and proposed events for the five-year 150th Cycle being undertaken by this group.

Among the latter were Anders’ own “Return to Manassas” event in August, 2010, as well as tentative plans to revisit “Shenandoah ’62,” stage a civilian militia muster to start the 150th Cycle and then the Battle of Ball’s Bluff in 2011, a larger-scale McDowell, the Battle of Antietam/South Mountain in 2012, the Battles of Chancellorsville and Mine Run in 2013, an Overland Campaign event on original ground, the Battles of Third Winchester and Monocacy in 2014 and the Battle of Sayler’s (Sailor’s) Creek in 2015. As plans move forward this list may expand.

Also addressed were the need to compile a manual of event mechanics, the division of responsibilities among the various groups involved in the cycle, and the land available for reenactments.

In the end, it was agreed that a website should be created for the sharing of event information among the group members as they work to solidify the events in the 150th Cycle.

The next 150th Cycle Meeting is scheduled for Nov. 21 (Remembrance Day) in Gettysburg, PA. If you would like to attend this meeting, or need more information, please e-mail Laurel Scott at 150thcycle@gmail.com.

Just thought I'd give this one more shot, now that everyone's come off of a nice relaxing holiday weekend.
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer

And let's give it a good slow start here. As it is All About the Events, some players have been doing exactly that this weekend.

For all but the most devoted Road Warriors, Much reenacting IS regional.

Just some regional areas are way larger than others in order to get enough players. The newly forming cooperative relationship between the First Federal Division and the new Cleburns Division is one such example, as the draw area is roughly a 1000 miles wide, but stretches from the Canadian border to the Gulf Coast. These fellers also have some dates and places.

Let's give them a bit of breathing space to unpack the trucks and tell what they have on a five year that is ready to lay on the table. Some have already discerned that lack of calendar coordination has costs in the availability of folks who play both ends of the hobby. Sometimes even a one week shift makes a big difference.

Let's get it on the table.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Oh, and Schnapps--a lot of folks have no way to see the Spreadsheet that Launched A Thousand Posts. And I sure don't know enough about this Iphone to transfer Chris Anders schedule into this thread.

Would you see to that please?
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster View Post
    Oh, and Schnapps--a lot of folks have no way to see the Spreadsheet that Launched A Thousand Posts. And I sure don't know enough about this Iphone to transfer Chris Anders schedule into this thread.

Would you see to that please?
    I'll do what I can, ma'am.
    M. A. Schaffner

Todd Harrington, who chaired/facilitated the last meeting in Winchester had this comment in the other thread, which I think bears emphasis (and which I hope he won't mind my quoting):

"We are NOT and should never be considered the only 150th Cycle event committee. We fully expect that others are (or should be) planning EBUFU events in other important CW regions. We do hope to hear from others planning events in these other areas so we can try to coordinate schedules and not step on another event."

It's a big country and we have five years to work with.

I'm looking forward to as many different, and different kinds, of events as I can get myself to.
    M. A. Schaffner

Bump, per B. C. Milligan's post on the other 150th thread.

(Yes, Mrs. Lawson, I still owe you that spreadsheet )
    M. A. Schaffner