Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Officer’s Appointment papers

Default Officer’s Appointment papers

I have been given the task of recreating Officer’s Appointment papers and was hoping someone on the boards here would be able to point me in the direction of where to locate the correct wording for the appointment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Steve Curtis

Brandon English
    Farb

No way. Sullivan has screwed me major before.

WTH

Contact me off-line at jwickett@comcast.net
    John Wickett
    Carpetbagger

Sir,
    I recently found papers of my GGGGGrandfather. He was promoted to Captain and Assistant Quartermaster of Co. K, 44th Ga. His appointment to A.Q.M reads as follows:

Hon. Geo. W. Randolph Richmond, Va
    Sec. of War June 9th, 1862

Sir,
    I beg leave to reccommend William J. Neary as a suitable and highly competent person to be appointed Quarter Master-44th Regiment Georgia Volunteers. He can give the requisite bond with ample security.

I earnestly solicit that the appointment be made immediately.
    Very Respectfully
    Your obt. servant
    Robt. A. Smith
    Col. commndg 44th Ga. Vols

I don't know if that was something you were looking for, but maybe it could help.
    Ben Fowler

[QUOTE][Originally Posted by Pvt. Sweetey
    Don't say they didn't have Kentucky Long Rifles in the Civil War, I saw one Confederate have one in Gods and Generals./
    QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by indguard
    No way. Sullivan has screwed me major before.

WTH
    Ok, how would I possibly know that? They didn't screw me and they do have the officers commission paperwork.
    Brandon English
    Farb

Default Officer Paperwork

Try [deletion - THP; reference to copyrighted material] They have different forms on there with instructions for the type, size and color paper to use. I do not know where they got their forms or instructions, but they may be useful.
    your obedient servant,
    Rick Etter
    Surgeon, 2nd Brigade
    Southern Division
    SOCWS

"not really a surgeon, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express"

Quote Originally Posted by retter
    Try [removal of deleted material - THP]. They have different forms on there with instructions for the type, size and color paper to use. I do not know where they got their forms or instructions, but they may be useful.
    Hmmm... those look exactly like the pdf's that Sullivan sells. Does the Seventh Cavalry know those babies are copyrighted? They even have Sullivan's descriptions, provenance, and printing suggestions, right down to the type of paper. Unless I missed the credit statement, that's beyond tacky.

Being the Sullivan forms, they don't include the actual commission. If you really want those forms, I suggest you contact someone who has done the copying themselves and is willing to share, or do your own searching online for a master in the public domain and then duplicate it using Word or other software yourself. The originals belong to everyone, but the duplications belong to the person who put the sweat capital into making them.
    M. A. Schaffner
    Midstream Regressive Complainer

[QUOTE=retter]Try [removal of deleted material - THP].
    Just be careful. This group portrays post war/Indian wars. These forms may not all be good for civil war.
    Joe Snell
    18th Indiana Light Artillery (Sgt.)
    49th Indiana Vol. Infantry (Pvt.)
    U.S.A. Pay Dept. (Major)

"We never should, and I am sure, never shall be niggard of gratitude and benefaction to the soldiers who have endured toil, privations and wounds, that the nation may live."
    Abraham Lincoln

"It's a disagreeable thing to be whipped."
    William Tecumseh Sherman

Default Officer's Commission pic

Take a look. We found and photographed this in the Pennsylvania State Archives.

http://www.142dpvi.org/certificate.htm

Ron Myzie
    Ron Myzie
    "God gave us two ends - one to sit on and one to think with. Success depends on which one you use. Heads you win, tails you lose."