Questions about women's clothing
I generally find myself answering rather than asking questions in this forum, but I've wandered into an area of study that has left me baffled. Any assistance on the following questions would be most gratefully received:
1. I can easily find information on what a woman would wear on a formal occasion, but not so much on others. What, for example, would a young middle-class woman wear for a ride in the country or, say, to a picnic? What would a middle-aged woman of the same class wear?
2. Crinolines seemed very popular but were they worn by all classes on all occasions? Could we attribute some of the full-skirted look of the time to the amount of fabric in dresses and multiple petticoats?
3. Would a maid in a middle class home have worn crinolines?
4. What would Clara Barton have worn to work in a hospital?
5. Or a lady copyist in an office?
6. Most books on fashion seem to be about just that – fashion. Could you name a few references for everyday wear?
Thanks very much in advance.
M. A. Schaffner
Midstream Regressive Complainer