Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Open Letter to the Camp Chase Gazette

Default An Open Letter to the Camp Chase Gazette

Dear Camp Chase Gazette:

More than a year ago, I purchased a one-year subscription to your magazine. After the first two issues I knew I wouldn't be renewing my subscription. I didn't even read the magazine. It was the most poorly-organized and edited publication I have ever seen. It was unreadable trash.

My subscription has expired and you've begun calling me, leaving messages asking me to renew and promising to call back. I received a flyer in the mail in which you say that you're under new management and that the editorial sins of the past will no longer be a problem.

Well, if you want to get me back, I suggest that you prove that you've gotten better. Don't ask me to renew on faith--send me a sample issue and show me that you're worth my hard-earned money. You already sent several issues beyond my subscription period, so you must have money to burn.

Oh, and don't bother to call any more.

Signed,
    A former subscriber

Scott Cameron

Default Good point

Good point Scott. I've gotten the same treatment. Calls, etc and a flyer offering 25% off. It was getting so that it was hard to read an article. It would be spread out, a little here, a little there, though-out the publication. Sometimes you couldn't even find the end of the article, it was so jumbles up.
    Fritz Jacobs
    CPT, QM, USAR (Ret)
    VP Kentucky Soldiers Aide Society
    CPTFritz@aol.com

Scott,
    I'm a former CCG subscriber needs revamping and new outlook, try out Civil Historian Mag covers all aspects and impressions civilian and military.

http://www.civilwarhistorian.com/
    Nast "T"
    Michael Farnsley
    aka Thomas Nast
    www.bohemianbrigade.com

"Whose toils cheered the fireside educated provinces of rustics unto a bright nation of readers and gave incentive to narrate distant wars and explore dark lands"

Default Amen...

...It was a very tough last couple years for Camp Chase Gazette, no doubt about it. The editor (Ed Hooper) was terminated, not because the magazine was garbage but because he was hauled off to jail. Reece Sexton has taken over the Courier and Gazette, Connie Payne is still at the helm of the Citizens Companion. Reece is an honorable guy, a reenactor, knowledgeable and so on. If you know Reece you probably have a good opinion of him. I like the guy.

The "continued on page 22" trick was a particularly grating aspect of publishing there...especially when the article was not found continued on page 22, but somewhere else entirely...or not. All print media, not just magazines, but particularly magazines are struggling at the moment. Civil War Historian included. I would agree with the advice posted about giving it a try. It is a wonderful publication and I have been a subscriber and reader since Vol 1 # 1.

I have signed on to do a monthly column for The Gazette called FROM THE ORDNANCE DEPARTMENT, my first post-Watchdog endeavor. The first column will be "Reenacting with a Flintlock" which to my thinking is an undercovered topic in a under represented but often used weapon early in the Civil War. Not sure that makes it worth a subscription, only the reader can decide that. I do know many of the things mentioned as complaints in the open letter are being addressed, and time will tell.

I have had my differences with Lakeway, to the point where we moved The Watchdog over to CW News. But I was willing to give them another shot. It's a decision you have to make for yourself, as to whether there is value in a magazine devoted to being "The Voice of Civil War Re-enacting." Like I said, time will tell.
    Craig L Barry

Author: The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy

The editor (Ed Hooper) was terminated, not because the magazine was garbage but because he was hauled off to jail.
    That is something that I had not heard before. What were the charges?
    Thomas H. Pritchett
    Moderator, Military & Other Business Conferences
    www.campgeiger.org

Default It's a matter of public record...

...personal matter. Nothing related to his lack of competence as an editor or publisher, which was legendary. Not his entering into contracts beyond his authority and without the knowledge of his employer, not printing plagiarized material, not the missing funds from the Linda Lammers raffle. Lakeway made good on all that, by the way, to their credit.

Ed Hooper violated a restraining order from a woman he was recently engaged to marry, and worked with. The woman found about the sorts of relationship issues i.e., violations of trust, that result in broken engagements and restraining orders. Know what I mean?
    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 01-22-2009 at 08:25 PM.
    Craig L Barry

It's a matter of public record...
    That is why I asked the question the way that I did. I was not looking for accusations but merely what he was charged with. Thank you for providing that information.
    Thomas H. Pritchett
    Moderator, Military & Other Business Conferences
    www.campgeiger.org

Default Right-o, the bard said it best...

..."Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned / Nor **** a fury like a woman scorned."

Not from Wm Shakespeare as many think, but another bard, William Congreve. The Mourning Bride (1697). I'm not one to hold a grudge, myself. No time for it.
    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 01-22-2009 at 11:54 PM.
    Craig L Barry

summvideo Guest

The Camp Chase Gazette hasn't really improved since this thread was started. Back in the early 1990's this was a quality publication with some inciteful and instructional articles, but not so any more. Half of the upcoming events listings have already passed by the time I recieve my issue. I have renewed my subscription, but I am beginning to regret doing so.

Well somebody's reading it. You admittedly paid for a subscription to CCG to receive no useful content while C&S Digest failed with a *free* on-line publication due to a lack of quality content (article submissions). The irony of that just kind of slaps you in the face.

So here we are, right back where we were three years ago when this thread first sprang to life.
    Craig L Barry