Thread: Sutler Blockade Runner

Question Sutler Blockade Runner

Does anybody know how blockade runners clothing is for quality? Is it good for the price paid? All who know please repond. Thanks in advance.
    Your Most Humble and Obedient Servant:
    Colonel Justin Pianka
    Brigade of Lincoln's Volunteer's

I must remind everyone about the forum policies about negative posts about vendors - not allowed. If you do have a negative comment, I would suggest that you use the PM function as I will delete any negative posts.
    Thomas H. Pritchett
    Moderator, Military & Other Business Conferences
    www.campgeiger.org

Blockade Runner produces excellent Mainstream quality.

The clothing is well made, of sturdy material, and holds up well in the field. The lines are acceptable, though there are shortcuts to maintain the price range this vendor caters to.

Missing are the finer points of construction, materials, and full research that make for a spot on reproduction of period clothing---but then, much period clothing was produced for an individual, not an 'off the rack' purchase as you are making here.

As a general rule, you'll find excellent customer service, quick turnaround, and a vendor who stands behind his products. I've found his tentage to be exceptionally well made, and recommend it to a entering reenactor over the 'cash and carry specials' one often finds at events. The additional attention to detail and features on his canvas products produces a much more durable tent that operates well in bad weather, and holds its value and utility for resale.

Make sure though before purchasing, that this vendor's work meets the standards of your chosen unit. Think of it this way. Blockade Runner is like going to Sears to buy your modern clothes. This is a reasonable thing to do if everyone where you work buys their clothes at Sears. If the folks where you work buy their clothes at Brooks Brothers, with finer detailing and better fabrics, then you will stand out like a sore thumb in a Sears outfit.
    Last edited by Spinster; 12-30-2008 at 10:54 AM.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster
    Blockade Runner produces excellent Mainstream quality.

The clothing is well made, of sturdy material, and holds up well in the field. The lines are acceptable, though there are shortcuts to maintain the price range this vendor caters to.

Missing are the finer points of construction, materials, and full research that make for a spot on reproduction of period clothing---but then, much period clothing was produced for an individual, not an 'off the rack' purchase as you are making here.

As a general rule, you'll find excellent customer service, quick turnaround, and a vendor who stands behind his products. I've found his tentage to be exceptionally well made, and recommend it to a entering reenactor over the 'cash and carry specials' one often finds at events. The additional attention to detail and features on his canvas products produces a much more durable tent that operates well in bad weather, and holds its value and utility for resale.
    Ditto and you have a PM.
    It is a HOBBY...not a RELIGION.

19th Alabama Inf, Huntsville, AL
    1203rd En in OIF 07-09
    CDR, C/115th ESB, ALANG
    "Renegade 6"

Bought a couple pair of fed pants from them, and a great coat, and a pleated white shirt. Pants, and shirt were ok, sent the great coat back, ate the restocking fee, not what I was expecting, or wanted. I have bought other items from them, including my Enfield.
    Cris Westphal
    Civil War Reenactor

Default Stay away from CS garments

Blockade Runner is the same company which sells the plastic lined, wooden canteen. Here's a blast from the past about the quality of said item : http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...lockade+runner

Having been given an opportunity to view - at my leisure - a CD jacket, a frock coat and a pair of trousers from them. Said sutler sought a seal of approval for FCD/AoT troops and was willing to offer a cut rate deal to troops in Gen. Moore's army. Three of us examined these same three items. One of them is a noted gear whore. My bottom line was that I refused to recommend them. The others had their own concerns which mirrored mine. No seal of approval was issued. Our troops were directed to sutlers who produce goods of higher quality.

I sew all my own garments from County Cloth patterns using his fabric or Ben Tart's fabric and have viewed construction techniques of many originals. Before I sew anything, I do some research on the item I'm producing. These three Blockade Runner items did not come from identified patterns, were sewn with a zig-zag machine, and had poor technique in general. Otherwise, they were just fine.

The CD jacket was the worst offender. Said to be a replica of the McDonnell Jacket in the state museum in Mississippi ; however, it didn't match any of the specs for the jacket. To manufacture and sell a jacket saying it is of a general type is one thing. (Much leyway in that.) To say it is a repro of a particular jacket when it's not even close borders on fraud.

I cannot say anything about Federal uniforms created by them as I have not examined such. However, I would be very skeptical about them. I can say that I would not recommend any Confederate clothing sewn by Blockade Runner.

If you really want something from them, purchase one of the tinned copper plates. They are keepers.
    - Silas Tackitt

"I consider him a humbug, a man of small capacity, very obstinate, not at all chivalrous, exceedingly conceited, and totally selfish." - - Lafayette McLaws about James Longstreet.

Quote Originally Posted by Silas
    I sew all my own garments from County Cloth patterns using his fabric or Ben Tart's fabric and have viewed construction techniques of many originals. Before I sew anything, I do some research on the item I'm producing.
    Mr. Tackett,
    A quiet observation, I've noticed this when having seen you in person, you do a good job with your clothing construction. Just a thought here, every consider cloning? We sure could use plenty more like you in this hobby. This compliment is meant kindly.
    Mfr,
    Judith Peebles
    Books! - The Original Search Engine.
    Remember life is short so read fast.

Default Defarb

I used the Blockaderunner for a defarb on my Enfield. Todd Watts did a great job. I also had a Federal smoothside and was satisfied for a time. Really, the key is to purchase items YOU willl be satisfied owning. Which is the reason I love seeing sutlers at events before I spend my money on their goods. And this is not to mention the joy of making my own stuff...If I don't like something I make, at least it was cheaper than buying it.

Evan O'Dell

Their ladies booties are are doable and they work well for children and teens (and men if your feet are small) They make a good spun brass bucket w/ stamping too.

Their Federal gear is like a modern melton-ish wool (felt like) and does not have a weave pattern attributed to 19th century wool textile production.

Cj Rideout
    Tampa, Florida

A formerlly great country that is in rapid decline.

Only sutler I know of that carries emergency burkas in their inventory:

Last edited by Bitter_Bierce; 12-30-2008 at 10:09 PM.
    - Clement Nottingway

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce