Thread: Lined Notebooks

Default Lined Notebooks

Doea anyone have a source for good lined notebooks?

Default Office Depot

Somewhere in this thread is a mention of getting journals from Office Depot:

http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...t=office+depot
    Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Jas. Cox
    Civilian, but not always Civil
    53rd Indiana Vol. Inf. Co. I (for my Great, Great Grandfather Private William Haas)

Noah Briggs

Thanks guys. Noah yours reminds me of the Ledger in Untouchables.

yours reminds me of the Ledger in Untouchables.

"Circuit Court? You have a heading here for Circuit Court?"

Great movie, horrible history. The real Untouchables was even more cool than the movie made them out to be.

Back on topic.
    Noah Briggs

Quote Originally Posted by NoahBriggs
    yours reminds me of the Ledger in Untouchables.

"Circuit Court? You have a heading here for Circuit Court?"

Great movie, horrible history. The real Untouchables was even more cool than the movie made them out to be.

Back on topic.

Well we could be members of the Ice Cartel? I know there were gangs during the time but were there organised crime as we think of it today during the time period.

Getting back to the notebooks do you document like the diet schedules and medications in your? I have the 61 regs and would model the books based off that. See I am trying to put together a presentation for an officer and nco school for how the Medical Department interacted with the company especially the paperwork side. Which reports I was required to give the regiment which ones I was required to give to the company officers and NCO's and what they were required to give to me.

Sorry I missed your question! The field nurse brawl has been holding the spotlight, and I did not see you had posted after me on this thread.

My long-winded answer is based on the Federal Army, so if you are Confederate you might want to correlate my answer with your research.

The Federal regulations provide model forms in the Medical Department section which are to be ruled out either on paper (to send to the Surgeon General and other people who require duplicates) or lined and filled out in books. Using the ledgers/books is specified in the Regs. Forgot which reg and I don't have the regs in front of me. So your first "pop quiz" is to locate that documentation. Please note - ruled out on paper, not necessarily using badly photocopied forms from the regs. You don't need huge sheets, either.

The reg goes on to say that when a surgeon leaves a post he transfers all the books to the incoming surgeon, which makes sense, and having it in a register in one spot makes it easy to read, reference and transport without scattering papers to the wind.

Since I used to portray an asst. surgeon on the move I have three books - patient register, which is the "admissions" book, a prescription book, which lists prescriptions as needed for patients for each day of the week, and a treatment register, which is my "doctor's notes" on patient demographics and how I treated the patient - procedures, notes on success, and so on. Are there other books, diet, &c.? Yep, but I have crunched the procedure down to Weekend Reenactor size so one does not get too overwhelmed.

I use a format I read in an original patient register for the Winder Hospital in Richmond. It was written in flowing script, with bold, Italics and even underlined as needed. It read like a modern pathology report - "GSW to the left anterior of the shoulder, angling downwards past the left clavicle" and so on. And yes, it used "GSW" for gunshot wound. Also "VS" (vulnus sclopeticum, Latin for gunshot wound).

All patients are numbered in my patient register, and those numbers correlate to my other registers, so in theory it's easy to track their paperwork and progress. I saw something similar in the Winder register, but I never got the time or chance to decipher it.

Of course, my notes are a little more gritty. They represent front line notes based on a twilight triage and lots of mayhem. I also include a form that is in Kautz's Company Clerk - Form 21, a list of Killed Wounded and Missing, which I try to fill out after an engagement.

Your NCOs should have a sick book - a book where they list the names and complaints of the enlisted who report to them. When surgeons call is sounded the orderly sergeants march their sick/injured to the surgeon's tent, and hand the sick books to the surgeon. The surgeon examines the book and sorts out who needs to be seen now, who can wait, and who's playing old soldier. (The orderly sergeant should have skimmed the book to look for the malingerers as well.)

The surgeon will fill out his morning report - actually that's the clerk's job - which lists who is where - in hospital, confined to quarters, missing, deserted or died, &c. He updates the form from yesterday - keeps a copy for himself, one for the battalion clerk (so the patients can be accounted for at morning roll call) and one for the surgeon-general.

The rest of the forms involve inventory - medical supplies, where are the patient's equipment (all ordnance is with the captain) camp garrison equippage is with the patient, who has what hospital equipment, requisitions for food, fuel, forage, making sure patients and staff get paid and their mail reaches them. Seems inventories of supplies happen all the time, simply because the State or Federal suppliers would like to know where the money is going.

Why does the S-G need all these reports from the hospitals? So he can compile them and report to Mr. Lincoln every day the number of soldiers present and ready for active duty.

Please search this forum section for "Paynes Farm AAR" and you will read how all this theory translated into actual practice at a battle reenactment three years ago. I have pictures of the books and their form set ups as well, though you'll have to wait this evening before I can e-mail them to you.

If I have written this correctly your NCOs should now question why they wanted to be NCOs in the first place. Paperwork is drudgery, but it occupied ninety percent of the NCO's time.

Private Schnapps has written a well-documented treatise on "School of the Clerk": forms, paper, supplies and how they all work together. I'm sure he'd be happy to send you a copy once he's finished in the field nurse rumble.
    Noah Briggs

Thanks a bunch Noah. As usual you are a plentiful research source. The Nurse brawl has now been downgraded to the terrifing picture of me in a two piece taffetta gown.(I just don't have the chest for it anymore. ) So we all should be freed up for furhter joking.