Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Army cots

Default Army cots

Is there some way to identify civil war cots? There is one that my Dad and Mom kept that was said to be a cot used by my g grandfather, John B. Beams, during the war. It was recently removed from the family home and stored in a shed. All the years I was growing up it was referred to as "Pap's" civil war cot.

Take a few pictures from different angles with a digital camera and put it up on here for the "experts" to take a look at (I ain't one of 'em).
    Bernard Biederman
    30th OVI
    Co. B

I have seen Civil War Army cots mentioned in a few instances. Most of these involve the establishment of homes for Civil War orphans. The descriptions of them are basically limited to narrow, iron, and sleep two children. The photos I have seen of different hospitals also mostly look like narrow metal bed frames.

Mark Campbell
    Piney Flats, TN

Default Cot caught

Here's an officer's cot that a Google search turned up, along with some 2006 discussion on this very site, so maybe a search here is in order?
    All this talk about cots is making me sleepy -- better rest up for tomorrow's turkey banquet!
    Paul Hadley
    (Hope my attachment attached)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mr. Hadley,

That image won't enlarge for me--I'd be interested to know if there is a patent date stenciled on the frame of the bed.

Reason being--I've got two wooden folding beds, with the wire mesh on the platform. One of them sports a headboard which is awfully close to a bed I once saw at Gettysburg NPS before the bulk of the collection was stored---but my bed had an 1880 patent date.
    Mrs. Lawson
    Weaver, Spinster, Strong Fast Dyes
    Knitted Goods and yarns available thlawson@bellsouth.net

Moderator, When I remember. We got Rules here!

Did your sales post disappear? Try again. But read the rules first.
    Here they are: http://www.cwreenactors.com/forum/sh...Classified-Ads

Here is a Civil War era cot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Thanks everyone

Thanks for your replies. This cot is iron and looks basically like a narrow bed. When I am back to the homeplace I might get a picture of it. Great Grandpap was in the hospital a number of times and convelacing in camp, too.

Dorcas

When I am back to the homeplace I might get a picture of it. Great Grandpap was in the hospital a number of times and convelacing in camp, too.
    Being iron, I could see the potential of the cot being from a hospital or from a permanent convelance camp but I would find it hard to believe that it would be found in any semi-mobile camp environment just because of the relative differences in weight between an iron frame versus a wooden frame.
    Thomas H. Pritchett
    Moderator, Military & Other Business Conferences
    www.campgeiger.org

Hello all,

Here is one that is dated 1862.

Thought about making a copy of it though not sure if it would hold my 215lbs as those legs look awfully tiny

Mark Avery
    Major
    Pay Department, 4th Brigade
    U.S.A.

Another

Mark Avery
    Major
    Pay Department, 4th Brigade
    U.S.A.