Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sash color

Default sash color

As a relative newbie here i understand that the cufs on a confederate uniform were black that signeled a staff medical postion so the correct sash color for medical in the south would be gold ?

Default Sash Color

If I am not mistaken, I believe that would be Green
    Bobby Hughes
    Co A, 2nd Battalion Ga Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Vol Infantry "Yates' Sharpshooters"
    Savannah Republican Blues
    Co C, 3rd US Infantry
    Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum & William Scarbrough House, Savannah, GA

"I hope to live long enough to see my surviving comrades march side by side with the Union veterans along Pennsylvania Avenue, and then I will die happy." - James Longstreet at a Memorial Day Parade in 1902.

GaWildcat is correct. Green is the color of a Confederate Medical Officer's sash (as well as a Union Medical Officer).
    I Remain, Your Obedient Servant,
    Jimmy "Doc" Nelson
    Moderator (well, sometimes . . hehehe )
    ** We have Rules here! **

Daylight Lodge # 760 F&AM
    Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels

In honor of my 3rd Great Grandfather: "John Daniel Nelson", Surgeon, 4th Georgia Infantry, CSA

Thats what i thought as well however it was explained, by some people to me to me that Green was only federal. Are all in agreement that Green is correst ?
    Thanks for your imput

Default Hold it a minute

I answered off the cuff, but I have since gone back and looked at the
    Confederate Regulations, 1863

Facings

1472. For the Medical Department - Black

Trowsers

1487. For the Medical Department - A black velvet stripe; one inch and a quarter in width, with a gold cord on each edge of the stripe.

Sash
    1508. For General Officers buff silk net; with silk bullion fringe ends; sash to go twice around
    the waist, and tie behind the left hip; pendent part not to exceed more than eighteen inches below
    the tie.

1509. For officers of the General Staff and Engineers, and of the Artillery and Infantry red silk
    net. For Officers of the Cavalry yellow silk net.

Does this muddy things up more??
    Bobby Hughes
    Co A, 2nd Battalion Ga Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Vol Infantry "Yates' Sharpshooters"
    Co C, 3rd US Infantry

"I hope to live long enough to see my surviving comrades march side by side with the Union veterans along Pennsylvania Avenue, and then I will die happy." - James Longstreet at a Memorial Day Parade in 1902.

hmmm . . good point. I too, looked through the CSA regs and found the same. Here is another source: click here. You may have to increase the size a little to read it. But, its page 69, bottom of the second column, in the first section (the section at the top of the page).
    Jimmy "Doc" Nelson

In honor of my 3rd Great Grandfather: "John Daniel Nelson", Surgeon, 4th Georgia Infantry, CSA

YIKES !
    thanks all since my regement is the 23 NC Inf peedee guards looks like ill have to get a RED sash if i read it correctly

You may want to "PM" George Wunderlich, he's the Executive Director of the National Museum of Civil War Medicine, in Frederick, Maryland and, is also a registered member of this forum board. He may have a better answer, with evidence to back it up.

I have read a few accounts of Confederate Surgeons and, they have detailed purchasing their "kit" (uniform, etc.) and, in this detail it is noted that they had a green sash, as well as their Union counterparts. The medical corps on both sides were similar in many respects so, it was more than likely Confederate doctors wore a green sash as well. And, in that link I provided above, that sounds more than likely probable (page 69, upper section). Here is the paragraph from that reference (Civil War High Commands, by John H. Eicher, David J. Eicher):

"Confederate officers also had gold sleeve braid prescribed: Generals: four strands; Colonels: three strands; Captains: two strands; and Lieutenants: one strand; but the sleeve braids and corresponding cap decorations, as well as various coat button arrangements, were not followed by the majority of officers as their photographs testify. Noncommissioned officers wore sleeve chevrons similar to those of the U.S. Army: Sgt. Maj.: Three bars and three arcs; Q.M. Sgt.: Three bars and three ties; Ord. Sgt.: Three bars and a star; 1st Sgt.: Three bars and a lozenge; Sgt.: Three bars; Cpl.: two bars. The colors of various facings, edging, and the chevrons were specified as: generals: dark blue; Inf: light blue; Cav.: yellow; Art.:red; Med. Corps: black; and other staff: buff. Colors for belt sashes were specified as: generals and all officers except cavalry and medical corps: red; Cav.: yellow; and Med. Corps: green."

There are photos of museum and personal collections of Confederate Surgeon's uniforms and, in those usually exist a green sash and, a reference to whom it belonged (if known).

Gordon Dammann also has photos in his three book series "Pictorial Encyclopedia of Civil War Medical Instruments and Equipment" that, show Confederate uniforms with a green sash.

All in all, I think you would be historically accurate in wearing a green sash. I feel with as much evidence as is out there, showing Confederate Surgeons wore a green sash, there would be no disputing it.
    Jimmy "Doc" Nelson

I'm going to back up Jimmy here.

I have a reprint of "Uniform and Dress of the Army of the Confederate States" printed in Richmond in 1861. It has a copy of General Order No. 9 of June 1861 giving the uniform regualtions.

"42 - For officers of the General Staff and Engineers, and of the Artillery and Infantry - red silk net. For officers of the cavalry - yellow silk net. For medical officers - green silk net. All with silk bullion gringe ends; to go around the waist and to tie as for General Officers."

After that order is a "Memorandum as Excpanation of the plates, regarding the colors, badges of rank &c"

"Surgeon - Facings, black. One Star on collar. On trowsers, black velvet stripe, one and a quarter inches wide, with gold gord on each edge. Sash, green silk net. "

1862 Confederate Army Regulations has the same information in a reprint of the J.W. Randolph, Richmond printing.

1863 Confederate Army Regulations has the same information in a reprint of the j.W. Randolph, Richmond printing.

Same holds true for the 1864 regulations page 409
    http://books.google.com/books?id=cXo...-1&output=html

The individuals who transcribed and posted the following version omitted the line about the medical officers. If they ommitted this line I imagine there are more errors in this online version of the regulations and this transcription should not be trusted for accuracy. This pdf file should be destroyed before more people trusting only in online sources of information and not true copies and reprints or original texts for research are lead astray.
    www.geocities.com/capitalguards/CSARegs.pdf
    Great idea, poor execution and has resulted in much confusion and wasted time of explanations here.

Read the originals or correct reprints. Just because someone has posted something online doesn't mean it is correct. There is far too much undocumented incorrect information online. It is also important to check to see the source of information quoted in books. Just because someone got some publisher to print it doesn't mean the information is correct.

I think this tread is a perfect example of how a few poorly documented bits of information can waste time, energy and send people in the wrong direction.
    Last edited by hta1970; 10-27-2008 at 12:22 AM.
    Harry Aycock

Medical Director Bee's Brigade - 150th First Manassas
    Medical Director Evans' Brigade - 150th Leesburg
    Medical Director Valley District - 150th McDowell
    Chief Surgeon of Division - 150th Seven Pines/Seven Days
    Chief Surgeon of Division - 150th Sharpsburg
    Chief Surgeon Heth's Division - 150th Gettysburg

Chief Surgeon
    Southern Division

Thumbs up

Harry

Thanks a bunch!!! That's really good information about the regs not being complete..
    Bobby Hughes
    Co C, 3rd US Infantry